Forums Latest Members
  1. Baker1858 Jul 16, 2014

I'm new to the forum but have been lurking and reading for a long time. I have been fascinated by the Ranchero for it's looks for a long time and when I found out that it was somewhat rare I knew it would be a great watch to start my collection with. Once I found out that they are replicated a lot I started to really do my research and study all the Rancheros I saw come up for sale. Last December I finally found what I thought was a good example and went ahead and took the risk of buying it. I was more than excited because it was truly the only watch I had ever wanted or had a desire to own.

I have always been afraid to post pictures of it online simply out of fear of finding out it was not authentic. From everything I can tell and all my research I don't think there is much to question about the watches authenticity. There may be a few things wrong with the watch, but I will wait to see if anyone else notices any flaws because I may be wrong. There are a few things condition wise that are not perfect with the watch, but they personally don't bother me because it helps to show that watches age.

Finally on to the pictures.

[​IMG]
    The watch came with both boxes which helped me believe it to be authentic when I was buying it. Also I was not sure if it was common to get both boxes when buying a vintage watch, but I was excited to be getting both.

[​IMG]
    The watch has what appears to be the original strap.

[​IMG]
    A close up picture shows the watches true age.

[​IMG]

The watch may not be the cleanest example of a Ranchero, but it seems to be in perfect working order and keeps good time. If it is an authentic Ranchero I think I got it for a great deal, but if I come to find out it is not I think I will be heartbroken. I know it is hard to tell the truth about a watch without opening it up, but when I bought it I was able to check all the numbers and they matched other rancheros. Please let me know what you think of the watch and any concerns you may have with it's authenticity. Thanks!

JimInOz, jose75 and simon like this.
  2. pitpro Likes the game. Jul 16, 2014

Dial is real and not a fake like so many you see.
    Of course the lume is gone from the dial. Lume was
    quite thick on Ranchero's.
    The minute and hour hands are correct, although they
    both have been re-lumed. The sub second hand may be
    correct but I would need to see a better picture. But this
    hand should be white. The paint may have flaked off.
    The crown is not correct, it's been replaced.
    The second most important part of this watch is a correctly numbered
    movement. These were only made for a short time and the
    movement serial needs to be in a certain range.
    Also the caseback needs to have certain engraving.
    If you show the movement and caseback I will tell you if they are ok.
    There are many that have been put together with almost
    correct parts.

3. Baker1858 Jul 17, 2014

Thanks for your response! The crown was the part that I figured was incorrect. I'll get pictures of the movement and case back this evening.

4. Baker1858 Jul 17, 2014

I got the Ranchero opened up today and took some pictures, hopefully these will all authenticate that it is a Ranchero.
    [​IMG]

I had to use a magnifying glass to get a clear shot of the numbers, hopefully the images are clear enough to read.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. pitpro Likes the game. Jul 17, 2014

the movement serial is smack in the middle of the accepted range.
    it's also a 267 which is the correct movement
    caseback is marked correctly for Ranchero.
    correct crown looks like this
    DSC_0042-5.jpg

6. Pasbru Jul 17, 2014

So nice when all checks out :thumbsup:

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 18, 2014

pitpro likes this.