Forums Latest Members
  1. Rasmus_denmark Sep 26, 2016

Evening folks,

Im currently having a speedmaster in for service and would like your advice on a "pusher" matter.

One pusher is kind of hanging a bit, my watchmaker recommend to change them (because of age), no need to inspect further in his oppenion. I dont mind spending money on new pushers.

Would this be the right choice? Or would I reduce the value exhanging them out with new ones?

The Speedie on top with bracelet ;)

Your advice will be appreciated
    Rasmus

image.jpeg
  2. marturx Sep 26, 2016

I can't see the point in exchanging them. Why can't he just adjust the lower pusher?

Keep original as long as possible. Don't change parts unless you really have to

3. Rasmus_denmark Sep 26, 2016

Can pushers be adjusted? Any got experience with this?

Replacement pushers would naturally be original.

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 26, 2016

This is a 1980 watch though, not some mid 60s rarity. AFAIK Speedies between 1978 and 1997 are pretty much the same and the only variance in value is down to condition. Realistically is there any value to be lost in replacing the pushers with service parts? Are the replacement parts currently fitted actually any different to those fitted on the 80s watches? If you don't replace, you will be risking water ingress eventually.

5. Rasmus_denmark Sep 26, 2016

Im actually not sure if there is any difference.
    Anyone know if old pushers can be adjusted succesfully? Maybe replacement of the small spring could do the trick?

6. 72c Sep 26, 2016

oddboy likes this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 26, 2016

But not with Omega parts it seems:

'Unfortunately new springs aren’t available separately from Omega for these, you have to buy the whole pusher assembly. However this seems overkill when it’s just the spring that’s at fault so I prefer to buy just the springs from a dedicated spring manufacturer. The replacements are manufactured from stainless steel and are the same dimensions and have an almost identical compression rate as the originals.'

Sounds like a faff to me. Just replace the pushers!

8. 72c Sep 26, 2016

Sure, I read it too.
    I was just answering the dude's question about whether springs can be replaced.

Rasmus_denmark likes this.
  9. wsfarrell Sep 26, 2016

It's quite likely that if the pushers are disassembled, cleaned, and properly reassembled, all will be good. I've done this myself many times. They will not be waterproof, but they were not waterproof to begin with. You can send the watch to Omega and have them replace every possible seal----and they'll tell you it's not waterproof.

10. rcs914 Sep 26, 2016

I recently got my 145.022-76 back from @Archer - I had him replace the pushers and the crown as I have a 2.5 year old and another kid on the way. I want to be able to enjoy wearing my Speedmaster and not worry about a random splash from my kid, etc. If I had a more collectible model, I would likely not have had them replaced. But I personally do not see much benefit to keeping them original on a 1980 watch.

sky21 likes this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 26, 2016

Pushers are replacement wear items. If they are the correct type your fine.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 27, 2016

Modern replacements will be virtually identical, so there's no reason not to replace these IMO.

rcs914, Dash1 and padders like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 27, 2016

Of course they won't, but they will tell you it's water resistant to 50m, which is what the watch is rated for...

padders likes this.