Forums Latest Members

New Purchase Vintage Automatic dress watch - Advice needed please

1. Chrisher Sep 22, 2016

Hi All, i've been a member of this forum for some time but haven't really posted before although I have gained invaluable knowledge by reading many posts. I have been wanting a vintage Omega for some time and this week pretty much on impulse decided to put an offer for a 1960 gold Omega watch after talking with someone who wanted to sell one. The watch is signed four times, on the dial, case, crown and movement, is in original unrestored condition and keeping time well. The overall condition of the watch is very good as can be seen from the picture. I have only managed to see one other like it on google. I understand this watch was made for the British market (it has an inscription at the back) and the case is hallmarked on the inside of the case with a Birmingham Assay and also underneath one of the lugs. The watch measures 34 mm across, excluding the signed crown and 43 mm from lug to lug. The watch comes with the original box and was bought from the original owner's son. Does anyone know which model exactly this is and, an idea on value ? As stated it was an impulse buy and not sure if I overpaid. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. axiale Sep 22, 2016

Hi,seems is a bumper movement? Pic with movement ? What reference have engraved on case back? For real value you need all that information ablnd need to see what type of gold have your watch.14k gold,18k gold?For British market you will find many watches in 9k gold case.

3. axiale Sep 22, 2016

Sorry for writing mistake,i write from my mobile.Sometimes i touch 2 letters in same time and i make mistake

4. Chrisher Sep 22, 2016

Thanks. It's 9ct gold. Not sure about movement as haven't opened case back and don't know how to. It's an automatic movement.

5. axiale Sep 22, 2016

is not bumper in your pics.Dial is original or re done?For value is better to know reference for your watch.IMO is easy to open it.

6. Chrisher Sep 22, 2016

Ok thanks. I will take it to my watchmaker tomorrow to have it opened. Dial is original. Watch is all original never restored of refurbished.

7. axiale Sep 22, 2016

welcome,i will wayt new pics with your watch .

8. Chrisher Sep 23, 2016

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I attach some photos of case back and movement . It's a 20 Jewel Caliber 501 image.jpeg

9. DON Sep 23, 2016

Nice watch. Caliber 501. Dennison case and in some countries. 9kt gold is not even considered gold. 10kt is the minimum. it will sell, but no clue on the value.

I would check Ebay.uk completed auctions on 9kt gold watches to see if anything sold and compare condition.

DON