Forums Latest Members
  1. Lbreak Jan 11, 2019

Just purchased a Damasko DA43 as a everyday tool watch for sports and cooking. It felt like a really tough watch, well done Damasko!

Here's a obligatory wrist shot… with Layla spinning in the background IMG_20190111_225757_2.jpg

2. rcs914 Jan 11, 2019

I've long wanted a Damasko - personally would like a DA42, but haven't been able to swing it yet. I've hemmed and hawed between the 42 and the 43, since I like the full lume of the 43. The lume they use otherwise really could use an upgrade. I think there is immense value for money with them, with their ice hardened steel cases and clean designs. I heartily commend your good taste :)

Lbreak likes this.
  3. thenameisnando Jan 11, 2019

Love the black on white dial on this one!

Lbreak likes this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 11, 2019

5. Lbreak Jan 11, 2019

The lume was the single reason that led to my choice of a white dial, since this would be the watch I wear during sleep. If you have the chance to see and compare them in person, the difference of lume and appearance in dark would be dramatic. The lume they used is just C1, so it's indeed kinda weak a few hours in darkness. Having a full lume dial helps a lot.

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 11, 2019

Nice love the contrast. . I was just also thinking how cool an enamel Layla dial would look.

Lbreak likes this.
  7. rcs914 Jan 11, 2019

Exactly - I REALLY wish they would upgrade their process to using BGW9 or C3.

8. Lbreak Jan 11, 2019

perhaps they will, after they use up all their current stock of C1s:rolleyes:

9. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Jan 11, 2019

I have been kicking around the idea of getting one! Love that color combo, nice pickup.

Lbreak likes this.
  10. Lbreak Jan 11, 2019

That would be dope! Maybe UG should do it since they have a watch nicknamed "Eric Clapton"

11. Reddy_Kilowatt Jan 11, 2019

I kind of dig the Damaskos, but keep finding myself drawn more to the Sinn U1. Did you cross shop them?

[​IMG]

12. Lbreak Jan 11, 2019

Yep! I did try the U1 when I was visiting the AD. It's a great watch but there are 2 things I really don't like… First, it's too big for my wrist, my wrist is about 6.75 inches. Second, the bezel action feels sloppy… I know there are practical reasons for Sinn to do it, but there is just too much play in it. In addition, the lumed triangle on the bezel isn't really a triangle… cutting the corner flat makes it hard to align to the minute hand.

Reddy_Kilowatt likes this.
  13. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 11, 2019

(((Confused))) What pratical reason(s) is there to make a watch with a bezel that has too much play in it?

Lbreak likes this.
  14. Reddy_Kilowatt Jan 11, 2019

Interesting. That's good to know. I guess I'll just have to buy a Sub. :whistling:

Lbreak likes this.
  15. Lbreak Jan 11, 2019

There was a review/discussion on WUS about Sinn U1, the OP explained why the bezel is like that. Here is the post: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=4402650

Edit: to save everyone the trouble of clicking a link, I would copy the text and quote the OP here.

Original posted on WUS, by rabbit3001, on June 8th, 2017
    "It's true that the bezel on my Black Bay felt like heaven. It was just a pleasure to operate. But boy, once either the watch or my hands (Lord behold, or even both) came in contact with the slightest amount of water, the bezel jammed regularly and I simply couldn't even get a grip on it. That makes it useless for actual diving if you ask me, as a nonprofessional diver.

Now looking at my U1, yes, the bezel has play in every direction and it doesn't feel nearly as satisfying to play with it but it is THE perfect bezel for actual diving.

Just like the lume of Sinn watches, the bezel is just thought out all the way through.

After asking Mr. Schonefeld about the function of the bezel, he again revealed to me what Sinn had to incorporate into their design, in order to create, in my opinion, the perfect dive watch bezel.

First of all the bezel has to be operable at any time, in even the harshest environments and maybe even with the thickest gloves on. That's why Sinn designed the bezels on their diver's watches to be a tad looser so that the diver can operate the bezel using one thumb only. That's also the reason for these pill-shaped cutouts on the edge of the bezel. Apparently they turned out to offer the best grip in even the most severe conditions.

I can also confirm that out of all my watches, the bezel on my U1 is by far the easiest to operate at any given moment. Furthermore, a little bit of room or play under the bezel is needed so that dirt, salt - or even ice crystals won't build up as easily, which might, in the end, lead to an inoperable bezel. Needless to say that no serious diver or operator would ever want that to happen. While enabling all these features listed above, the bezel is still extremely secure and mine has never moved unintentionally.

Simply put: Sinn's bezels are designed for real divers. How often did the bezels on my other watches get stuck after swimming in the ocean? I stopped counting by now. I mean yes, that was always fixable by putting the watch in a sink full of warm water back in the hotel room, but right "in the field'" the bezel was useless often times.

So please keep that in mind when buying a Sinn watch as I've heard even very seasoned watch reviewers complain about the odd bezel action. "

Edited Jan 11, 2019
    citizenrich and Reddy_Kilowatt like this.
  16. Reddy_Kilowatt Jan 11, 2019

I just read the whole review. That was useful. Thanks for linking it.

17. Lbreak Jan 11, 2019

Glad to help, you're welcome!

18. rcs914 Jan 12, 2019

From everything I've read, it's much harder to damage the ice hardened steel of a Damasko than the tegimented steel of a Sinn - while tegimentation does make a harder surface, it's only a few microns thick over softer steel while Damasko cases are hardened fully. For what it is worth.

Lbreak likes this.
  19. Lbreak Jan 12, 2019

Indeed, that's what I read about Damasko case as well. Interestingly Damasko used to be the watch case manufacturer for Sinn

20. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 12, 2019

I love the whole design ethos of Damasko and they do make a great minimalist everyday tool watch but a couple of things made me move on my DA36 and (full lume) DA37. Firstly while the cases are hard, they aren’t indestructible. My DA36 showed NATO rash and did pick up the odd dint. Yes it may have been better than the steel others use but it isn’t invulnerable and the brushed finish is hard to improve if marred. I think on balance I would prefer something I can give a cape cod wipe to fix. Secondly as already mentioned above, their lume is very poor even on the DA37 which was a big disappointment.

I would have another and much prefer them to the Sinn offerings which don’t impress me as much, their coatings are toast once damaged and it’s new case time, but as a day to day tough legible beater, a sword hands SMP or even a Dynamic Gen3 makes more sense to me.

Oh one last thing, both German brands have had many reports of major customer service failings, particularly Damasko. Part of this is down to poor local distributors (particularly Page and Cooper), part down to variable quality control but part down to the factory not being very good at all at responding to customer contact. Parts availability for servicing, repair etc can be non existent. Don’t assume that being as they are German they will be super efficient...

Edited Jan 12, 2019
    Lbreak and citizenrich like this.