Forums Latest Members
  1. Arcticboy Jun 12, 2016

I just got this franken Speedster MKII on Friday. Just look at the poor work on the case! The movement is gold colour, not copper. Does anyone know if that means the movement used to sit in a Seamaster or another non-Speedy model? I have never seen a Speedy with a gold movement.
    The dial is beautiful, and perfect for an 80's Speedy Pro, so I am looking for a 145.022 case for this one.
    Meanwhile I might try to buff this case back into a shape slightly closer to the original.

IMG_2043.JPG

2. SwissZ Jun 12, 2016

Looks badly polished to me, but could be original MK2 case. But polished to death. Movement shot? It could be original to a MK2 but the dial came from something else :)

Buffing simply won't work, lots of metal is missing, will need to be lasered, probably not worth the cost unfortunately.

Arcticboy likes this.
  3. TomGW Jun 13, 2016

Is the movement an 863? That would explain the gold colour and it should be decorated with CdG stripes. It's possible that the movement/dial/hands have been transplanted into a MKii case, although I can't think why anyone would do that.

4. Arcticboy Jun 13, 2016

I think the case was original at one stage. That is a very interesting thought about the 863, although I can not recall any "cote de Geneve" pattern on the movement. I will open her up tomorrow :)

5. Arcticboy Jun 14, 2016

I got the back off today. This is an 861, quite plain, but in gold. I will repair the chronograph and hopefully find a donor case for it soon, :)

IMG_00802.jpg

Edited Jun 14, 2016
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 15, 2016

Not all gold versions are 863's. The 861 also came in gold with what Omega refers to as "circular decoration" as shown in the OP's photos.

Hard to say if the movement, dial, and hands were transplanted from another watch. There is no "Mark II" on the dial, so it could be a regular Speedmater Pro dial, but you will know for sure when it's removed from the case. The Mk. II dials are complete flat, where the regular Pro dials are curved out at the edges.

Cheers, Al

7. Arcticboy Jun 15, 2016

@Archer thank you so much, this is very interesting indeed! So i understand there is still a chance this one is an original MKII... The hands have been swapped, surely, because the chrono seconds hand has lume, as the only one :)
    Ill check the dial again tomorrow and keep you posted!

8. cwindham Jun 15, 2016

Werent the decorated movements for the see through display backs?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 15, 2016

Those with Côtes de Genève were...

10. CrisROSE Jul 1, 2016

That extra Jewel makes it a 1861 doesn't it?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 1, 2016

Not necessarily. I have a tech guide from Omega for a Cal. 861A that is an 18 jewel movement...