Forums Latest Members
  1. cristos71 Jan 22, 2014

I picked up a little project watch at the weekend for a pretty good price. Rose gold top 14381 with the rail/track dial, in some circles it is even referred to as Ashley's trench dial!:oops:

Call it what you will, the reason I bought it was the combination of the rose gold and the dial, which I find a little uncommon and quite attractive.

The watch as can be seen has various problems, filling missing from the minute hand, a couple of dings, correct shape but wrong sized crown and of course the dial. To me it looks like nicotine stains for the most part with a mystery mark between the 2 and 3 markers. There could also be some lacquer degradation but I need to get it under a microscope at my watchmakers to know more. I do however think there is potential for a nice clean up here, and for what I paid it is worth a risk.

I am going to attempt to clean the dial myself and have read up a lot on the subject. It seems the best results have been achieved on the solid gold deluxe dials which this obviously isn't.

Does anybody have any tips or experience on this type/vintage dial that they could share, I'm particularly interested in recipes that have been proven on nicotine removal.

051.JPG

053.JPG

057.JPG

054.JPG

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 22, 2014

No tips, but nice watch!

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

I would personally leave the dial as is. You hear of a few success stories (some come out very nice) but there are countless disaster stories that you never hear of - I know of a few deluxe dials that have been totally ruined by cleaning attempts. And even if the dial is not ruined, the end result could come out less satisfactory than a dial that I would consider acceptable considering it is an uncommon one.

cristos71 likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

Nice bezel and medallion. :thumbsup:

5. John R Smith Jan 22, 2014

How does a dial in a waterproof screw-back case get nicotine stains? If it is waterproof that case is air-tight too. From what we can see in the photographs the patination would seem to be caused by degradation of the lacquer coat, caused perhaps by UV exposure. There does not seem to be any underlying corrosion (or spotting) from the dial metal itself. So I would suggest that if you are brave, this is a candidate for chemical removal of the lacquer coat.

6. cristos71 Jan 22, 2014

Sorry, meant to quote, not to like...

I hear you, but I bought this with cleaning in mind, I can live with a perfect dial in an imperfect case or an imperfect dial in a perfect case but an imperfect dial in an imperfect case is one imperfection too many for my OCD!

7. cristos71 Jan 22, 2014

You may well be correct here, I have read that attempting to remove the lacquer layer can strip the dial of its printing quite easily. This is not something that I want to attempt. If it is degradation of the lacquer then I'll leave it as is.

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

I would say that case is in pretty good condition - at the 90th percentile of gold cap connies.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 22, 2014

Not suggesting what the specific discolouration is in this case, but assuming that a water resistant watch is, or always has been, water resistant over it's lifetime is well...not likely in my view. I suspect the vast majority of these vintage models have degraded case back seals, possibly pitted sealing surfaces, and worn or degraded crown seals. I see it every day.

Water resistance is a function of design and maintenance - if you don't have both you don't have water resistance.

Cheers, Al

PS - if it were mine, I would leave it as is...

10. Dablitzer Jan 22, 2014

I agree with Mike & Al, the case looks in fine shape, especially for a gold cap one. Overall I actually like the dial, it doesn't bother me so much since this is a rare model. I would leave it as is, and if all else fails call dibs! ;)

Edit: I've only known success when cleaning solid gold dials, and that was with only a cotton bud and a lot of time & elbow grease!

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 22, 2014

Another vote for leaving it alone.

12. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 22, 2014

Wish I still had pics on my phone showing the before and after on the lemon-juice recipe someone used (with success!).

It was a Wittnauer dial. Then it was just a dial...Soaking only (no touching!) removed all lettering and some of the minute track.

Good luck with yours...

13. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 22, 2014

IMHO, this dial is stunning as is. Just my 2c's
    As always, wear in good health. Miki

14. cristos71 Jan 22, 2014

So nobody thinks this is a good idea, maybe I'm completely on the wrong track here

::rimshot::

I was actually thinking about the cotton bud or make up pad technique with a very mild distilled water and Glassex type solution, , I am now of course in serious doubt mode. Where are Hoipolloi and Watchyouwant when you need them, I'm sure those guys have a technique or two :D

15. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

:p

The question is risk versus reward. Are you willing to chance ruining that dial? Or, put another way…..

cristos71 likes this.
  16. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 22, 2014

If you're so intent on a gentle cleaning: Why not reach out for Hoipolloi? If he says no then case closed!

cristos71 likes this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

NO, not that dial. I have cleaned a few dials successfully , so it is not just a never thing for me. But some dials you can just look at and they scream NO! This is one of them!!!

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

They generally don't buy watches that need that sort of treatment.

My advice would be to leave it alone. It's not that bad. Removing the lacquer might take all the printing along with it.

Not worth the risk, IMHO.
    gatorcpa

19. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

Leave it, it has aged nicely. :)

20. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

I was going to put "That's a Kyle dial!" in my response, but I figured you'd eventually be along to add your 2¢. ;)