Forums Latest Members

New Porsche Design Chrono is a bit 'Speedmaster'......esque !!!

1. Bahnstormer Nov 30, 2018

superfly and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  2. rcs914 Nov 30, 2018

If you google "vintage porsche design chronograph" you will see that about 80% of them have an orangish red chrono hand. While watches do borrow design elements from each other all the time, I would comfortably state that PD watches having this color hand has nothing to do with the Omega Ultraman, nor was the Ultraman the first to sport a red or orange chrono hand either.

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 1, 2018

I don't see it myself. Looks very Porsche Design though ie very 1970s influenced.

Tet and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 1, 2018

7750 with a red hand and black PVD case? I think about a lot of watches not a speedy.

X350 XJR, whyboddau, gdupree and 3 others like this.
  5. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 1, 2018

Come on... besides the black case and bracelet, the shape of the case, the movement, the dial layout, the date window, the hands, the crown and the pushers it looks a lot like the Speedy Ultraman :D

X350 XJR, jimmyd13, rcs914 and 2 others like this.
  6. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Dec 1, 2018

I dont see it at all lol

7. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Dec 1, 2018

Try googling 1970's Valjoux 7750 and you'll see a ton of watches that look like this. Porsche Design, Heuer, Le Jour, Sandoz, the list is endless.

For what it's worth I love this design, but have a feeling it's about to be next on the "me too" microbrands list, I see Dan Henry are on it already.

tikkathree likes this.
  8. micampe Dec 1, 2018

The watch in the OP photo is the original 1972 model, the new one announced is this, quite different.

[​IMG]

Not my thing but the case is cool and original, the car and text on the dial are kinda tacky.

tikkathree and Bahnstormer like this.
  9. tikkathree Dec 1, 2018

I accept that the space and time occupied by the hands as they stir the atmosphere contained by the dial and crystal there is an astounding level of er.... similarity.

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  10. bd-chrono Dec 1, 2018

The OP photo is the Lemania 5100 movement, this watch was also used the 7750. The Lemania 5100 movement is easily identified by the 24 hour hand at the 12 o'clock position and the central minute register.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 1, 2018

See @Bahnstormer we all get smacked about a bit ;)

If you want to see a clone look at early Daytona’s they are speedy clones on purpose.

Bahnstormer likes this.
  12. Edantony Dec 1, 2018

@Bahnstormer everything isn’t influenced by the Speedy ;)
    PD and IWC did some good work together

Bahnstormer likes this.
  13. tikkathree Dec 1, 2018

You sure? 20181122_133900.jpg 20181201_201609.jpg

Bahnstormer and Foo2rama like this.
  14. kilofinal Dec 1, 2018

Agreed, don't see any resemblance

15. AJF Dec 3, 2018

To my mind that is nothing like a Speedy.
    It's a chronograph, sure - but other than that..?

I can actually dig the case, but I can't imagine it will be easy to fint aftermarket straps! :D
    The dial, to me, is quite poor - which makes the whole thing quite 'meh'.

They used to do neat stuff with IWC and a couple of others - those days have passed...

16. #nb Dec 3, 2018

Bahnstormer likes this.
  17. Dr. Laplace Sep 26, 2019

Late to the party here, however I might chip in.

The watch posted by OP is the "original" watch designed y Porsche in the 70's. It is my understanding that it was the first all black watch with white indicators. This was made to resemble the instrument cluster on the Porsches themselves.

This watch was so successful that it launched the "Porsche Design" brand. Not too long ago there was a re-edition of the watch to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the watch.

I am very fond of the PD brand. I own 4 "Flat Six" watches, 1 Dashboard and 1 Datetimer. There are few designs from that brand that I find disappointing.

The Orfina years were some of the best.

This particular puppy was made famous for being the watch that Tom Cruise wore on the movie "Top Gun".
    [​IMG]

18. tikkathree Sep 26, 2019

And yet the early Porsches had green text on the dials

I guess you know enough about Porsche Design to know that it went out of the ownership of the Porsche family some years ago.

I still think it is one of the best. There's a cleanliness and a ground-breaking style that became all pervasive for those of us growing up in the 70's but what's that you say about Tiny Tom wearing a watch in Top Gun? :)

19. Dr. Laplace Sep 27, 2019

[​IMG]
    He wore a PD Orfina 7176 which presumably belongs to him, as it was also seen in "Days of Thunder"
    The only other watch seen on Tom's hand is a Rolex Submariner on a motorcycle scene (could be someone eles's hand and watch).

I know that the watch business is not wholly owned by Porsche, but to the best of my knowledge they are a part of the Porsche group (as a separate GB).