Forums Latest Members

New PO 8500 fitted with Hirsch Curved Strap and Omega Deployment (pics)

1. e46rj Sep 13, 2016

To start off I do much more reading on here than posting. I figured I would post my new Planet Ocean 45.5 and my first adventure into changing straps. Thanks to this forum for giving me the confidence to do this myself, I had fun! I didn't find too much info regarding this specific strap with the Planet Ocean so I decided to post my experience incase anyone would find it helpful.

So I love Planet Ocean's and wanted to add another to my small but growing collection. I purchased this PO and it came with the usual bracelet which I love, however, I wanted to have a different option in regards to the strap. I really like what Omega has done with the deployment and wanted to find a well priced, functional (for my use) strap that worked with the Omega Deployment and had curved ends.

So what did I purchase?
    1) Omega 20mm Deployment Clasp from Otto Frei. Came with the Clasp as well as a Spring Bar for attachment to the strap. OME-94522033
    2)First Quality Spring Tool. Also from Otto, Part # FB-504
    3)Finally the Hirsch OEM Heavy Calf Deployment Curved Watch Strap in 22mm, I chose black. From Watch Obsession. This came with 2 Hirsch spring bars.

Both customer service and shipping from both Otto and Watch Obsession were excellent. I am in the US and Watch Obsession had my strap to me very quickly.

I have a few pictures to post up for you to see how it all looks together. I am sorry for not taking pictures during the process, I wanted to make sure I was fully concentrated on the strap change since this was my first time doing this.

Before the pictures here are some of my thoughts on this strap/combo:
    Install was probably a 8/10 for me considering it was my first time and this strap has different holes to fit the spring bar for a tighter fit. This took some time and fiddling to get to look "right".

I first installed the straps to the lugs then after that was complete I installed the deployment. This was very easy although a bit tricky so as not to scratch the Omega logo. I did use a lot of painters tape just incase I slipped.

After all was finished and I slid the watch on it was very tight and stiff. I felt as though I was going to snap the deployment or totally bend the spring bars out. After a couple weeks of daily wearing the calf leather seems to be breaking in nice and is not as stiff and almost forming to my wrist.

Initial though after i had the straps on the case were kinda awkward. I wasn't convinced that the strap was actually fitted correctly even though I heard the "click". I was honestly scared to wear it around thinking it would fall off. A couple weeks later and all is good.

So, I do really like the strap and glad I picked it up but I am not convinced it is the one for me. I thought I wanted curved ends but this strap just sits really sung up against the case, almost too snug creating unnecessary pressure, maybe not, just something I have noticed.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully someone will find it helpful or informative!

IMG_1734.jpg IMG_1733.jpg IMG_1729.jpg IMG_1730.jpg IMG_1731.jpg IMG_1732.jpg IMG_1724.jpg IMG_1725.jpg IMG_1727.jpg IMG_1728.jpg IMG_1723.jpg

Alb765, yinzerniner, alam and 2 others like this.
  2. Dannyomega Sep 13, 2016

looks nice

3. José9 Sep 13, 2016

Looks good. Congrats and thanks for sharing !

4. alam Sep 13, 2016

@e46rj that's a win, win combination! :thumbsup: Looks great!

With respect to the snugged feel you describe, I had similar experience/concerns when I put the Omega rally [curved ends] strap on my Speedy the first time; during the first few days, it was very tight/stiff but after several days of wear, it eventually turned out to be a very comfortable configuration - which I kept for quite long time. I'm not familiar with the Hirsch you got, but it does look much thicker at the lug ends. I'd say give it a couple of weeks of wear and it will probably be fine. Maybe @yinzerniner can tell you more. Enjoy!

Oh, one last piece of advice - just make sure don't attempt to make any adjustments to the strap/deployant while boarding onto sailboat :D (this is an inside joke) :p

Edited Sep 13, 2016
    nurseford25 likes this.
  5. nurseford25 Sep 14, 2016

Congrats! Mine says hi.
    image.jpeg

6. e46rj Sep 16, 2016

Thanks!

@alam thanks for sharing you experience too! Lol, I will be making no adjustments unless I'm over something very soft and close! I'm pretty sure I read that thread, if thats where the joke came from!

@nurseford25 looking good! I'm liking that strap!

alam likes this.
  7. jud Sep 16, 2016

Nice post. Thank you.