Forums Latest Members

New owner of SMP/Omega. 2 quick questions.

1. Matthewhtchen Oct 11, 2015

Hi all,

I just got my first luxury watch, and have definitely caught the bug. I'm wearing the Seamaster Professional Diver 300m, and I've got two really quick questions.

1. I've noticed a very small gap between the bezel and where it attaches to the rest of the watch. It's so subtle that the word "gap" might be misleading. But if I push down on the top of the bezel it does have room to come together. Just wondering if this is normal. If other owners of the watch can observe the same thing. I'm concerned about weather sealing.

2. I'd done as much reading about winding automatics as I can, but I'm still not 100% sure. Does it help to manually wind the crown a few times everyday to give the watch some extra power? Or will it cause harm to the coil?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. PatrickJ Oct 11, 2015

Pictures please

3. Matthewhtchen Oct 11, 2015

Of the "gap"? Honestly, you wouldn't be able to notice it if I took a photo. But when you press down on the bezzle you can notice there's a bit of room. I'm 90% sure I'm just paranoid and that it's a normal part of the watches design. But would be nice to get some confirmation with so many other SMP owners here before I submerge it in water.

Thanks!

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 11, 2015

It does have a little Spring underneath so sounds normal but others will chime in who own the watch.

Mostly need a quick wind from stopped but if running you should not need to wind if you are wearing the watch everyday. Several views but if you want a better perspective search the forum threads as it has been a topic several times before.

5. SeanO Oct 11, 2015

you can't "harm" the mainspring. You should give the watch a good 30 to 40 turns of the crown and then wear the watch.

The watch can't "overwind" in its normal state, there is a "clutch" between the rotor and the main spring that limits the amount of tension the mainspring will contain.

6. Matthewhtchen Oct 11, 2015

Alright, my first question is answered. I watched this video of a guy popping of a submariner bezel on youtube. Which means the bezel is not supposed to be sealed tight against the watch. Understanding this design doesn't make me worry about this "gap" when you press in terms of water sealing.

In terms of my second question, on winding with the crown. Even if I were to wear it daily, I read that winding it a bit with the crown can make it more accurate, is this so? And if this is true, I'm assuming a few winds everyday can keep it more accurate?

7. SeanO Oct 11, 2015

what sort of accuracy do you require?

a full wind will ensure that a steady measure of torque is applied to the balance wheel thus minimising any variations.

only at the very bottom of the power reserve will you see any significant variation in timing. If you're thinking that a variation of +/- 5 to 10 seconds means something is wrong then that's not the case. Unless you've had the movement competently regulated then that sort of variation is normal with everyday wear.

8. Matthewhtchen Oct 11, 2015

Ok so +/- 5 sec. variation is a healthy daily range for a new SMP?

9. Dombo63 Oct 11, 2015

My new Speedy Moonwatch has managed +5 seconds total over the last 10 days. Early days but pretty pleased with that :)

10. YurRomeo1 Oct 11, 2015

Here are some pictures of the bezel assembly and how it comes together with the watch... There is a spring underneath the bezel assembly that makes it turn in one direction only so having a little bit of play is OK since the bezel in these models doesn't seal against the watch. Also, don't go prying the bezel off, without the right tools you'll only end up damaging the case :) 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg