Forums Latest Members
  1. fcimadomo3 Dec 29, 2014

Curious to hear everyones preference. What would you rather have when it comes to Omega? Newer watches or vintage. Also why would you choose what you choose. For me newer omegas are more asethetically pleasing and I wear my watches because of the artistry and functionality. Just want to hear what you like an why? Also I am not experienced like some here so if I'm being completely clueless to the quality of vintage let me know. Here to learn.

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 29, 2014

Vintage. What's the question?

Seriously, vintage. Mechanical watches are a mature technology, so you are not getting massively better hardware with new, you are paying a huge premium, and what's the fun in seeing other people wearing the same watch as you.

You are right on the mark in buying for aesthetic appeal though - spend your money in the way that pleases you most. My equation just always comes up vintage.

STANDY and Spacefruit like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 29, 2014

Good topic!

I don't know if I've landed on either side yet. I have at least one from every decade from 60's to present, though nothing really current. It is mainly aesthetics that attract me initially.

One question I haven't quite wrapped my head around yet is whether I have the gumption to stick with truly vintage pieces, largely because of parts availability. I haven't managed to find a watch maker yet that suits my needs, is reasonable cost, AND will have access to parts past end of the next year. All the certified omega repair shops I've visited recently are very expensive, and mostly pretty impersonal.. so I'm left feeling like buying vintage pieces is a little risky as once I've spent the money for the watch, I don't have a 'go to guy' for the always necessary service. I'm still on the hunt for a good, omega certified watchmaker.. but until I find one, I'm hedging closer to more contemporary pieces.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 29, 2014

Both for me, love vintage but you can't go without having some modern pieces with water resistance, available spare parts and guilt-free polishability <-- made that word up

The new SM300 is awesome, I want one, the new ceramic cases are rather special too and there are about another 5 modern Speedmaster Pro LE's I still really want one day (Apollo 11 35th, 45th, Apollo-Soyuz, Snoopy etc etc).

ELV web and oddboy like this.
  5. alfanator Dec 29, 2014

Mostly vintage for omegas. They are just so well crafted and often have lovely patina. A couple of modern Rolex for the water, Exp 2 and Daytona, otherwise vintage there too.

6. bilemshious Dec 29, 2014

As a fan of history and people's stories, I must say vintage. I don't own any modern watches. Maybe one day... But right now I only search for vintage.

7. alam Dec 29, 2014

My preference touches both vintage and modern worlds. Think my watch boxes contain a 50/50 mix... oh crap! I just realized, this is a tied score! is time for another watch to break the tie! :)

8. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 29, 2014

You will notice that a lot of modern Omega's are inspired by vintage Omega's. Why not go for the originals?

Spacefruit likes this.
  9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 29, 2014

I'm completely taken with vintage Omegas. Can't gen up much enthusiasm for the current article. My last new watch was a gift my wife presented to me in the late 1990s. Otherwise it's vintage all the way.

And, you know what? They've been quite trouble-free and dependable.

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 30, 2014

Vintage, vintage or vintage - although now the new SM 300 has made its way from the Boutiques to the ADs, every time I go to my local shopping centre I see one in the AD's window and my resolve weakens more each time I look. It is the only modern Omega that does anything for me.

Archer likes this.
  11. imexian Dec 30, 2014

Yes but don't you like it when you tell someone that the watch on your wrist is probably older than them, or maybe even yourself!! But it looks so ace. It doesn't seem the same if you just say I bought it from Goldsmiths/beaverbrooks/AD in wherever you live etc etc... And it cost the same as anyone else can go in and buy.
    Anything new it seems now is built down to a cost the lowest common denominator, a lot of watches are a pale shadow of there early incarnation, I have a display back Speedy its gold gilt plated, new one Rhodium, not the same look at all!
    I must be getting old......LOL ;-))
    Ian

Edited Dec 30, 2014
  12. SeanO Dec 30, 2014

like LouS said. Buy what rocks your world. Vintage will fit both dress, sporty and casual needs (often with the same watch). Modern can do the same thing but the modern watch is often significantly larger than its vintage counterpart.

but again like LouS said, buy what moves you and if that's 1,2 or 20 watches then that will be fine.

13. NT931 Dec 30, 2014

Both vintage & modern for me as well. I love the warmth and style of the vintages, like the pie-pan Connies, but I also love the the moderns, especially the practical 'go anywhere' versatility of the AT8500s

14. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 30, 2014

You've got to have both!

Vintage to wear day to day except when the going may get rough, then you put on the modern stuff so you don't feel bad when it gets busted!

15. ELV web Dec 30, 2014

Anything that makes you feel good and fun to pursue, although I only made my first purchase of modern watch this Sunday....

16. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 30, 2014

With Omega, definitely vintage.
    My various Speedmaster c. 321's didn't miss a beat.
    My 1998 Speedmaster needed five trips to service under warranty before working long enough for me to sell. The 2002 Broad Arrow made three trips 7 years.
    If I'm buying a contemporary piece it will not be Omega. YMMV...

17. legends71 Dec 30, 2014

Modern Omega or new watches, but that counts for all the things I buy.
    I know there is something really wrong with me but I need to have things shinny en new.

18. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 30, 2014

There's a cure for that, go find a clean '50ish Tresor, a comfy chair, and a fizzy drink (Newcastle Brown Ale works, but choose carefully) and sit and admire it for a while. (the watch not the beer silly) You may never need new again.

Warning though..... its a highly addictive way to relax and your wife will think you've lost it!

legends71 likes this.
  19. legends71 Dec 30, 2014

Haha you are probably right....I must admit that I haven't seen any vintage watch yet. (Read hold in my hand)
    Checklist:
    comfy chair: check
    Cold beer: check
    Vintage omega: ......who knows what 2015 brings.

20. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 30, 2014

Predominantly vintage for me, goes for most things except my fiance:)

Nobel Prize and TLIGuy like this.