Forums Latest Members
  1. moga May 10, 2019

I’m looking to buy a Omega Seamaster 300m as an alternative to the Rolex 114060 which is never in stock from an AD.

With retails at $5200
    And chrono24 sells new unworn for $3780
    And private sells a 3500ish for a mint condition

It makes me hesitant to get one even for personal use.
    New Omega watch just doesn’t hold any value.

Why would anyone get the new Seamaster?

2. Caliber561 May 10, 2019

Some people get watches because they like to wear them???
    Do you buy your phone for resale value? Your books?

3. Buck2466 May 10, 2019

Because they like it. Not everything is about resale value. Buy what you like.

4. ama98 May 10, 2019

It's a well discussed topic on this forum. AD vs OB vs gray market etc. etc. It's your choice which one you choose.

5. 124watchfan May 10, 2019

Heck if that’s your reasoning why would anyone buy a new car? Believe it or not most people buy watches to keep for a long time not flip it in 6 months like some *cough*most*cough* on this forum. Even most Rolex’s contrary to belief lose their value as soon as you walk out the dealer.

warrydog and 89-0 like this.
  6. moga May 11, 2019

Just because you like something doesn’t mean one can simply ignore the poor resell value

I might change my mind about the 300m 3 years later and might want to trade it for something but all it’s worth might be <$1000

7. blacka01 May 11, 2019

So you are only considering the Seanaster because you can’t get hold of the Rolex. In this case then yes the Omega would be an unwise purchase as you likely will want to sell it on in a year or two. Just suck it up with the waitlist for the watch you really want, or get it from the secondary market

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 11, 2019

Hi!

More then a few things to consider here. Traditionally Rolex and Omega have the same %decrease when you buy them. This is important, both traditionally hold the same % resale.

Omega is upping prices every year to be more in line with Rolex. They are each other’s main competitors.

Rolex at some point will have to remove artificial production constraints that they have had for 3 years. If they don’t at some point it will back fire. This will reduce modern pieces resale.

Head to head they are neck in neck with a perceived edge in materials to Rolex and a slight nod to Omega in movements. No one really questions eithers materials or movements and they are really equal for the most part.

From a watch snob standpoint they are equal regardless of price. From a perceived value for non watch snobs Rolex is Rolex. Every lawyer and med school graduate gets a Rolex. Great marketing!!! This has historical reasons going back to the mid 70’s.

At the end of the day dollar for dollar omega makes the better watch. Perceived value favors the Rolex to most people.

9. ConElPueblo May 11, 2019

Yes. Yes it does.

This.

Add white goods, holidays abroad and a shedload on top of that to the list.

10. Stufflers Mom May 11, 2019

I suggest that you wait on the list for the Rolex, but by which time it may well have had several price increases before you get "that call" to Elysium

11. steelfish May 11, 2019

I was in the same boat a while back. I bought the omega (in fact I've had three since I was placed on the fabled list).

I'm no longer interested in the piece I'm on the list for, or any other Rolex item actually.

Reasons for me are:

The omegas I bought are better watches, more modern movement, more comfortable and fit me better on the wrist. I think they look better also.

I don't think about resale value because although I know I'll flip them both soon and know they'll have depreciated a lot more in comparison to the Rolex, I know I will actually be able to replace them with any other omega model of my choosing right there and then. Ie I'm not stuck with nothing while I wait on the list.

Final reason: I'm not keen on being treated and spoken to like dirt by Rolex sales staff. Its gotten quite pathetic their attitude now they think people are happy to beg for places on a list and be grateful to be on there.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  12. moga May 11, 2019

Same here! Where did you buy the omega from?
    I’m thinking about getting an unworn 300m from chrono24 for 3800 but a bit worry about the factory warranty.

13. steelfish May 11, 2019

I got both from my local AD here in Leeds UK.

The 3800 is USD I assume? Edit: sorry just saw that it was. Makes sense

Edited May 11, 2019
  14. tyrantlizardrex May 11, 2019

Congratulations @moga - you discovered the fallacy of watches as "investments"! :D

Who would have thought that all those media outlets, influencers, and watch brands weren't quite telling you the truth?

As others have said, most new watches are worth less the minute you buy them.

There are bubbles caused by markets being temporarily rigged: LE watches being released slowly (look at the prices LE Omega's achieve when not all units have been shipped, vs. prices when the market is beyond saturated), production and distribution being temporarily and artificially restricted (look at the current Rolex situation).

If you like the Seamaster, and want to buy one, your best financial option is to let someone else suck up the difference between retail and actual market value.

If you like the Rolex, and are prepared to wait, buy the Rolex.

Either way, don't buy anything expecting to make or retain it's full RRP.

15. FlyingSnoopy May 11, 2019

If you buy something for resale value then it is not a question of whether you like the watch or not.
    It is a question of investment.
    The submariner has proven to be an investment piece if you buy it at retail value and keep it in the safe....
    Now if you buy it to wear and enjoy it is a different topic....
    I consider the 300m a superior watch to a submariner for many personal reasons....
    good luck

16. Mcvictory May 11, 2019

Why a new Seamaster?

Because .....

20190510_181447.jpg

Vega Mike, p4ul, Jerseyhammer and 4 others like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 11, 2019

Yes you can. I never buy watches with resale value being a consideration, because I buy watches to wear, enjoy, and for the most part keep.

If you change your mind 3 years from now, it's unlikely the watch will drop as far as you state, but losing a bit of money on a watch over time is the norm, not the exception. It's only in very recent times, and with specific brands that watches are always increasing in value.

Based on your criteria, you should wait for the Rolex.

18. 77deluxe May 11, 2019

Why not just buy a nice used omega SM?

jaguar11, superfly and Motik like this.
  19. FlyingSnoopy May 11, 2019

Well said. I should add that the resale value of a watch is one of the criterias but a secondary one. The main criteria is how much you like it and how much you are going to enjoy it
    Cheers

Jerseyhammer and superfly like this.
  20. sepho May 11, 2019

I agree. Why not get a watch that you love, but also has a great resale value? It just not the main criteria. I would not settle with a watch because you can't get the one you really want. These watches are too expensive, and you'll regret the purchase later on.

Jerseyhammer likes this.