Forums Latest Members
  1. ENGAPETE May 28, 2018

06642D8A-A1B4-48CF-B677-88FE84FAA586.jpeg 911CB21C-ED7F-4137-A78B-135006321AB4.jpeg Hi

I’m looking at purchasing my first new Omega watch this month. I’m going to be spending up to £4000 on it. I know you shouldn’t buy a watch to make money but I am looking for a watch that will possibly maintain its value in the future.

Has anybody got any advice. I’m currently looking at the speedmaster moonwatch or the Seamaster aqua terrer. The moon watch being manual is putting me off but should it ?

Which do you think is the best watch and which has the best possibility at maintaining value in the future?

Would you recommend anything else for up to £4000?

2. lillatroll May 28, 2018

Hello,
    Forget about resale value, bit if that is a major consideration then the speedmaster is probably the best out of these two options. Winding the watch everyday almost becomes soothing, a ritual that needs to be performed everyday. Your children will talk about it when one of them inherit the watch.

As far as other options, a Tudor Black Bay GMT LOOKS like a winner although it is pretty thick. If your budget can stretch a bit further then the SM 300 co axial is a nice looking watch.

The best thing to do is to go and try a few on and see which one you like the most. If you want to save a few quid buy it at the airport next time you go on holiday. They stock the most common models so should not be a problem.

Mashieniblick, Foo2rama and ENGAPETE like this.
  3. ama98 May 28, 2018

Have you consider the non-LE Railmaster? MSRP is £3680 so it fits into your budget.

4. Bernardino May 28, 2018

£4000 will easily buy you either of these on the pre-owned market with some money left over, possibly enough for a nice vintage piece.

As lillatroll said, try them both on and see which you prefer.

I would ask what are going to wear them for?

The Speedy is a sporty watch where the AT is Slightly more dressy.

It’s all about personal preference, I have both and they are great watches however, in terms of future value, who knows?? Have a look on the used sales market and see what these are going for might give you and idea!

ENGAPETE likes this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! May 28, 2018

£3K would buy you either brand new with full warranty from a grey like Iconic or Swisswatches direct so pre-owned needn't be an issue.

Regardless where you source it, don't buy a new watch with a view to make money, you will in 99% of cases be disappointed. Yes the price of pre-owned examples may increase, sometimes substantially but when the general cost of living is taken int to account maybe not as much as you think. If you can get to the top of a Sports Rolex or LE Omega wait list then you may do OK from day one, otherwise I wouldn't entertain those ideas.

Edited May 28, 2018
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 28, 2018

Try them on and pick the one you want. The price range will get you a multitude of watches.

A £4000 watch bought new will be £3000 ( or there abouts ) the minute you wear it once. So don't ever buy thinking it will hold its full value.

Speedmaster hold value better than a lot of other watches in the price range ( in my opinion )

7. Tootalltim May 28, 2018

If you’re patient, and buying second hand isn’t off the cards, you could potentially buy two watches for that

Mtek and Finners like this.
  8. Finners May 28, 2018

My take on this is that the Speedy will hold it's value better than an AT. However, better to buy a watch that suits your intended use. I have both and personally see the AT as more of a dressy style watch, so it doesn't get much wrist time now. The Speedmaster (Broad Arrow - Blue Hands) I see as more casual, so it gets more use. Bear in mind that I bought the AT new and I guess it's now worth about £2 - 2.5k. I bought the Speedy used and paid a similar amount, ie you're not that far off owning both if you go used.

9. USDKH123 May 28, 2018

I was in the same boat you are when I was considering my watch. Had my eye on the Skyfall AT for a while, but I ended up settling on the iconic Moonwatch. I actually like the manual winding of the watch. Makes you really “own” it and commit to living with it. I’m about three months into ownership and still look forward to winding it every morning. Plus, no other watch has the pedigree of the Speedy. As one of the guys said when I posted my pic, the Moonwatch automatically makes you cool when you walk into a room. For a dork like me, I need all the help I can get! 497828C0-6E1F-4B59-A1B2-05B172F06EA8.jpeg

rob#1, ENGAPETE and Gurn like this.
  10. Gurn May 28, 2018

All I know is I want a Moonwatch. It will be pre-owned

ENGAPETE likes this.
  11. ENGAPETE May 28, 2018

The other problem I’ve got is that I’ve got a gift voucher for £1500 so I have to buy from goldsmiths otherwise I may have looked around for a brilliant pre-owned

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 28, 2018

@lillatroll you stole my answer!

The only thing I’ll add is like a car any watch drops value as soon as you buy it. It’s very easy to look up used prices of both.

It’s better to get what fit your needs and what you like on your wrist.

IDXM and lillatroll like this.
  13. Bernardino May 28, 2018

In that case make sure you haggle, big stores can still give discount, I’ve managed 20% before.

Just play them off against each other, tell them another high street jeweller is offering 20% and go from there.

Also, Goldsmiths have some pre-owned stock. Might have to be patient

ENGAPETE likes this.
  14. llvhhui May 28, 2018

I’d go with AT. A super versatile watch. I have one and love the blue dial.
    If resale value is your concern you’re looking at the wrong brand. Rolex would be the way to go.

15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 28, 2018

And probably worthwhile to try and strike your best deal before telling the sales person you have a £1500 voucher. Save that information for when they ring up your purchase.

ENGAPETE, Foo2rama and Bernardino like this.
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! May 28, 2018

You won’t get as much discount if any with payment involving a gift voucher. They sell these to insurance companies at massive (like 40%) discount so can’t afford to discount further.

17. Seaman May 29, 2018

+1 Buy second hand...if you will buy new as you get out of the store the value of your watch has dropped at least 1/4. :)

IDXM likes this.