Forums Latest Members

New Omega Seamaster PO Co-Axial Chrono - Advice

1. brw2014 Mar 26, 2014

Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

First post on the forums, please be kind ;)

So, a little bit of background - For years now I've been a fan of the Omega POs, and I've been saving for a little while now to buy myself a new one, as opposed to second hand. Recently, there was an Omega Sale in a nearby Jewelers, and I thought it would be rude to not go in and have a look ;) I ended up coming out with a brand new Omega PO in hand - 232.32.46.51.01.005.

I've never owned such a nice watch, and I have to say it is worth every penny - Incredibly nice! Picture below for those who want a look! A couple of questions on this watch though:

- Timekeeping: I've had the watch a couple of months or so now, and I've noticed that it does actually run a little fast! Is this common? I currently wear the watch every day, but I do tend to take the watch off when getting home from work, or in the evenings, and putting the watch back on the following morning - Could this be the problem? Given the expense of the watch, I would have thought these would be incredibly accurate time pieces...I find myself having to move the time back every now and then! Do I need to take this back/Should I be worried about this?

- Auto Watch Winders: Automatic watch winders - Are these necessary? Is this the issue to the above problem? Are there any automatic watch winders in particular that anyone could recommend/anything to look out for when buying one?

- Servicing: I also hear that such timepieces need to be serviced every year or two - Does this count for brand new POs? If so, how often do these need servicing, and what is the cost of this usually? Do I send directly to Omega, or back through the Jewelers?

- Cleaning: Also, I'd be keen to hear what everyone uses to clean their watches? As my watch has the rubber strap, it has started to smell a little bit - I have taken time to clean this down with cotton buds and water, which has stopped the problem now, but guessing this will come back - Is this the usual way to clean them?

- Ceramic Bezel: Lastly, When I bought the watch, I asked the lady if there is such a PO with the Orange Ceramic Bezel, to which I was told that this isn't yet available - I simply wondered if anyone knows when these are likely to arrive, as I'd be keen in putting one of these on the watch :)

Many thanks in advance for the advice/help!
    Ben

Watch Omega.jpg

dsio likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2014

First off, very nice choice of watch. Secondly all mechanicals run a bit fast or slow, typically it should be between -4 and +6 per day if its within COSC specs, I think Omega's specs are +0 and +6 which is even tighter, but a watchmaker can typically regulate (tune the timing) of a watch to around +0 to +4 per day fairly easily if its in good health. You always want it slightly fast, the reason being if its fast you just pull the crown (hack it) and wait to re-sync it to atomic time, while if its slow, you have to find the hand forward and wait, which is much more time consuming.

Servicing is more like every 5 years, definitely don't need to do it every 1-2. Omega even talk about longer service intervals than that for Calibre 9300s but 5-7 would be when I'd be getting mine done.

Winders are not necessary at all, unless you feel the need to keep your watch wound at all times when you're not wearing it. It has a long ~50+ hour power reserve, and you can top it up by winding it (a full wind is about 40 turns from stopped). The orange ceramic bezel was just released this year, though not in stores yet for the platinum version, steel is probably a ways off yet.