Forums Latest Members

New Omega Seamaster 300 - Lost Marketing Opportunity

1. Omegallo Mar 23, 2021

First musing - does this belong in the “Modern” forum? Definitely a modern piece but very vintage vibe. I’ll say yes to modern.

As for the topic of my post, I saw all the articles today whether it be on Hodinkee, Monochrome, Fratello, etc. All featured the Seamaster 300 on a strap as the featured article. I can’t tell if the website outlets made this choice (maybe RJ will tell us who’s on this forum), or if it was Omega’s call. Given all the outlets went with the same though, it feels like Omega made the choice.

Personally, I think that was a huge mistake. The blue dial flat link stainless will be the obvious hit. It looks amazing, and as usual blue dial, combined with flat link, and metal bracelet - it’s a combination of all the things most people love. I think Omega should’ve led with this one, and it would’ve drawn much bigger appeal to this new release. Then, like all the other brands, limit the production on the number of blue dial flat link stainless seamaster 300. This would feed the exclusivity desire, and raise the desire on the seamaster 300 on strap and the bronze gold.

Whether you agree with whether Omega should be managing supply/demand and creating “exclusivity”, who agrees this would’ve been the best move to drive demand on the new Seamaster 300?

https://hodinkee.imgix.net/uploads/...2&ch=Width,DPR,Save-Data&fit=crop&w=700&dpr=2

mbeast likes this.
  2. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 23, 2021

Personally, the black dial on bracelet is the one that's caused me to dig around under sofa cushions tonight -- and that was at the neighbors house!

I literally cannot wait to go hands-on with any variation of this watch. I think this is an absolute stunner, with quibbles only on the lume color on the minute hand and the cupcake crown. But both are entirely forgivable given how right everything else is looking.

Just make stunning designs married to master chrono movements, and there's your demand manipulation.

owl., swa14 and maskwp like this.
  3. Kiltie Mar 23, 2021

I just hours ago texted a friend associated with Omega discussing the missed marketing opportunities with original MC 300.

However, it wasn't about exclusivity or driving up demand through the perception of it.
    In fact, I think the MC, both old and new, should have hit a lot heavier on the heritage and spirit of exploration and adventure, a la Jaques Cousteau, that sort of thing.
    I think it should be marketed as: EVERYONE who loves adventure should have this watch because it's the BEST watch.
    Then a long list of the attributes that make it the best watch for what it was made to do.
    Just fill the ad page with diving stuff and copy about Omega's contributions and exploits and maybe an evening at the cabana after a day on the reef.
    No Cindy Crawlforward.
    No Eddie Redman.
    No Craig Daniels.
    None of that crap.
    A campaign about a watch for people who wear watches and want the best one.
    That's why I got the 1st gen MC. I truly believe it was the best watch available at the time. The materials, the movement, the anti magnetism , and the style.
    "EFF" that exclusivity nonsense. The price already says that. Loud enough to make me feel bad, sometimes.
    If you can get the funds together, and if you want an MC, whatever the color or metal, you should be able to get one.

owl., itsalex and Blackdog like this.
  4. Dedlock Mar 24, 2021

Yeah they could have engineered a bigger splash, the watch is easily one of their more attractive offerings for mass consumption.

Instead it feels like they dumped it in between the black Black and others. Also it seems they were more focused on promoting the bronze gold alloy rather than the watch itself.

5. AntonisCy Mar 24, 2021

Blue dial on bracelet is the first thing you see when you open the official website.

maskwp likes this.
  6. Dedlock Mar 24, 2021

its coverage on watch media, the spin they were using and focus seemed like a missed opportunity.

7. dstfno Mar 24, 2021

It's a new watch so yes, it belongs in the modern forum.

And Omega will hopefully never play the Rolex game of artificially limiting supply (if there's any truth in that) and creating fake demand from scalpers. They always made watches in all sorts of color schemes and variations, and had them all readily available as long as there were interested buyers. Unless it was a limited edition of course.

8. AntonisCy Mar 24, 2021

Rolex is a non profit organization so they aren't that pressed in meeting demand. That's their advantage.

9. Scooterino36 Mar 24, 2021

I truly believe that it still is the best watch available. And a blue dial 2nd Gen on bracelet would be a nice pair.

35AEBB73-0504-4E17-97D5-04C1938F7E5C.jpeg
    Blackdog and Kiltie like this.
  10. M'Bob Mar 24, 2021

Say what you want about Omega, but you have to give them credit for listening, and having their ear to the ground. Over the years, they seem to nail at least one thing every year that the enthusiasts love. And while I also have a lot of watches from you-know-who, they are all vintage, because they haven’t made a new thing since the 1970’s that’s been appealing to me.

gnuyork, connieseamaster and dsio like this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2021

Agreed, they know the collectors as well as the general public and do a good job of balancing the desires of both for the most part even though the two can often conflict with each other.

M'Bob likes this.
  12. Kiltie Mar 24, 2021

I agree ( with the “still is” part ).
    The value proposition of the new SMP makes a good run, now, though.

Scooterino36 likes this.
  13. Blackdog Mar 24, 2021

I'm still surprised that there's no more emphasis on the reworked bracelet...

With respect to the watch head, I still prefer the previous generation for the most part. But the changes on the bracelet are all wins in my opinion.

The "Push" clasp made its debut on the original 300MC in 2014, now for the second iteration we have a smaller one, well paired to the more aggressively tapered bracelet. Where are the pics of it ? This is probably the best version of the flat link coming from Omega so far.

Kiltie likes this.
  14. Blackdog Mar 24, 2021

Instead, a lot of chatter about the new bronze-gold....

Frankly, I am less than impressed.

Is it a gold watch ? Well, at only 9 karat I would say barely...
    Is it a bronze watch ? A bit expensive for that. And the whole purpose of a bronze watch is the development of patina...

Not sure I understand the logic.

Caesar95, owl. and Dedlock like this.
  15. M'Bob Mar 24, 2021

The logic is the company is offering a metal choice that’s new and has a slightly different appearance than their other yellow metals. Maybe some people like a more muted gold color and this might be appealing to them.

16. Blackdog Mar 24, 2021

20210108_161037.jpg

gnuyork, Kiltie and Scooterino36 like this.
  17. Rman Mar 24, 2021

Good watch.

I’d like to see them change the logo.

18. Scooterino36 Mar 24, 2021

The price difference between the two in the preowned market tends to flatten though.

Kiltie likes this.