Forums Latest Members
  1. Buff Jul 11, 2012

Hi- I am new to Omega as my father has just given me a watch he received for his highschool Graduation (from his father) in 1957. From what I can tell it is a 1954 Omega Automatic model with Subsidary seconds. It has gold and stainless case with only his name inscribed on the back of the case. The watch works and the movement looks very smooth. The crown is missing and the face is tarnished or perhaps stained- not sure. I am considering not having the face replaced and only cleaned as thoroughly as possible.(thoughts?) I plan to take it to a reputable vintage watch expert here in Atlanta and have the watch serviced, polished and the crown replaced. My father tells me that his Dad bought it on a trip in Switzerland in 1956 or possibly 1957 and that it came originally with an alligator strap. Any comments or helpful advice welcome. Thanks-
    other watches include:
    Heuer Camaro circa 1966
    Tudor Chrono Big Block circa 1993
    Tag Heuer circa 1989

1954 omega.jpg

2. ulackfocus Jul 11, 2012

Nice watch and great heirloom. It's either a bumper or a 47x/49x caliber inside. When you move it, does it feel like a coin is banging around inside?

The dial might be able to be cleaned with some Haggerty's jewelry concentrate. Try that out before you have it repainted. Original is always better.

3. Buff Jul 11, 2012

Yes I was quite surprised at what a heavy clunk it was when rotating the watch!

4. ulackfocus Jul 11, 2012

That means you have a bumper caliber inside. The oscillating weight swings back & forth to wind the mainspring and bumps a stopper in each direction. It's a caliber in the 34x series, probably a few years older than you estimate.

Pics of your '66 Heuer would be most welcome too.

5. Buff Jul 11, 2012

Interesting- thank you for the insight- I will upload a pic of the camaro tomorrow.

6. Buff Jul 12, 2012

As requested- this is my Camaro. Maybe its more like a 68 model- not sure exactly. This was also given to me by my father who bought it new in the late 60's. One of my prized posessions!

IMG_4072.jpg
  7. ulackfocus Jul 12, 2012

Nice! :thumbsup:

8. wwhntr Jul 15, 2012

Nice early bumper wind! Good luck with the dial cleanup. What is the diameter of the Omega (millimeters please)?