Forums Latest Members

New Omega bumper for me

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 30, 2014

Well some of you might remember earlier this year I visited a local antique dealer who had a huge cabinet of watch parts for sale. He wanted unrealistic prices for most of it - in my world things like Oris pin lever movement parts, rusty staff assortments, and tons of glass fancy crystals don't have much value.

But he did have a drawer full of various Omega parts, and I picked one other movement from another drawer - it was a Laco Flieger partial movement and dial from a WWII era pilot watch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I flipped the Laco and planned to use the Omega parts for repairs here in the shop:

[​IMG]

And there were parts for other brands in the Omega drawer as well - these photos don't cover all of the stuff actually:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as I set about sorting the various parts out, I discovered that I actually had a movement, dial, and case that were all from the same watch. No hands, and the movement was obviously missing parts, and the case had no crown, but I set it all aside and thought it might make a good project. I did spend some time disassembling it a while ago, and then I had to order in a few parts.

Well during the holidays I decided it was time for me to finally spend some relaxing time doing some work for me instead of other people - been a tough year so I thought this would be good to treat myself. So here is the Cal. 344 bumper movement:

[​IMG]

Looked pretty good from that side, but there are obvious setting parts missing from the dial side, so hour wheel, minute wheel, setting wheel, setting lever jumper, and some screws:

[​IMG]

There were other problems found of course, like the jewel that the rotor axle rides in being completely smashed:

[​IMG]

All apart here:

[​IMG]

Into the cleaning machine:

[​IMG]

Now the base movement is together and ticking:

[​IMG]

New parts on the dial side, including here a new stem and crown:

[​IMG]

I didn't polish the case, but that doesn't mean it didn't need some work, so the old case tube was removed:

[​IMG]

And a new one installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dial mounted:

[​IMG]

Ready now to mount the hands:

[​IMG]

Now I had ordered some hands from Omega, but I was lucky enough to find the hands that I believe go on this watch - I was literally scraping up the bottom of the drawer when we were gathering parts at the antique shop, and I had put a bunch of random parts including all sorts of hands in an envelope, and that's where they were:

[​IMG]

Now for that damaged jewel:

[​IMG]

Horia tool makes this a quick job:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New crystal (and yes it's lined up!):

[​IMG]

The screw they Omega sent for the single case clamp was too large on the head, but a few minutes at the lathe solved that and here it is test fitted:

[​IMG]

Looks pretty good:

[​IMG]

I need to find another strap for it as this was taken from another watch, but this will let me wear it for a while anyway:

[​IMG]

So that is my second watch acquisition of the year!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Al

2. imexian Dec 30, 2014

Looks a1 dude..I might look into being a professional watch repairer, if I wasnt hamfisted, short attention span, very short tempered, not bright enough, memory rubbish, no patience type of person.... Al, do you fancy an apprentice ? .....answers on a post card?. All seriousness, that watch does look most excellent.
    Regards,
    Ian

3. OmegaPete Dec 30, 2014

Nice! Glad you are taking care of yourself...you deserve it. You certainly are always available for others...best of health to you in the New Year Al!

Peter

4. repoman Dec 30, 2014

I can't imagine how satisfying it is to "acquire" a watch this way. I'm with Ian, I have no talent near what it would take to do something like this, I just sit back and admire those who do.

imexian likes this.
  5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 30, 2014

Great to see one of these brought back to life!
    I am assuming the case tube pressure fitted. Does the end need to be expanded (from the inside of the case) to secure it in place?

6. ChrisN Dec 30, 2014

Thanks for sharing this, Al. I'm sure it is nice to be able to do something for yourself occasionally.

I have a centre seconds 354 which needs a service soon so am interested to see the breakdown of yours. I think I bought the same screw as you (mine has no case clamp as the screw is rusted in and the head broken off, so I'm not using it) as the head is also too big for the recess.

Cheers, Chris

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 30, 2014

Thanks guys - I not typically a bumper kind of guy, but this had a nice dial, so it seemed a shame to make it into parts. And it is nice to do something for me also, and I am currently working on my Tudor Sub as I have not been able to wear it all year pretty much (low power reserve). The watchmaker's own watches are always the last tog et worked on it seems.

Now some questions answered:

imexian - hey we all had to start somewhere! Get some tools, some movements you don't care about, some books, and have at it.

Joe - it is a press fit. Omega standard procedures for installing press fitted components into the case (press fit pushers, correctors, and yes case tubes) call for using Loctite 638 retaining compound, and I have used it here. There is no need to flare anything and that is not a technique I would advise, since it will be a bear to get the tube out the next time it needs changing.

Chris - these are interesting movements to work on I guess - parts can be a bear if you need them though. The clamp is no longer available, so I just found a case clamp here from an assortment I have that worked. The screw is an odd one because it is the specific screw that is supposed to be in that spot, but 3 minutes on the lathe solved that - if you don't have a lathe and need one cut down, let me know.

Cheers, Al

noelekal likes this.
  8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 30, 2014

Thank you so much for this thread. I recently acquired an Omega automatic that features the 344 movement and it's fun to look over your shoulder as you rehab your example. Mine was sent off to the shop for servicing and should be in hand (on wrist?) in a few weeks.

9. aga79 Dec 30, 2014

great job...:thumbsup:

10. Pahawi Dec 30, 2014

Great thread, great you're well again, and great watch :thumbsup:

11. alfanator Dec 30, 2014

That is a lovely dial and great to see you brought it back to life. Archer the necromancer!

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 30, 2014

Well I had Rush's Caress if Steel on while working on it...track 4 is The Necromancer...

Coincidence? I think not! ;)

Okay had some wine with the French onion soup I just made and ate...spent my time between the bench and the kitchen today making stock and soup in addition to working on a couple of my watches.

Cheers, Al

13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 30, 2014

Al, you mention that you're not normally a bumper kind of a guy. What are your views about bumper-wind watches? Primitive? Inefficient? Less durable?

Just asking, as I've acquired my first of the type. I've avoided them but really never knew why.

14. ICONO Dec 30, 2014

As always, Al, .....Your posts are meticulously interesting, informative, & superbly visually documented.

A testimony to your personal professionalism, & good humour.

I consistently appreciate your calm voice of common sense, thoughtful pragmatism, & generously given advice

Warmest best wishes for your continued good health, & kind regards to your family

15. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Dec 30, 2014

I have brought vintage phonographs, radios, slot machines, and clocks back to life. But I don't work on watches.

My only Omega is a bumper (342) which was bought in a watchmakers estate (non-working). With the help of this board I secured parts and provided them to my watchmaker. I love the watch and plan to post pictures along with the story. Feels great to bring one back from the brink!

Great job as usual Archer. How's your ticker doing?

16. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 30, 2014

Just pure awesome. That was an absolute joy to read

17. ErikR Dec 31, 2014

i really enjoyed that post

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 31, 2014

I second the motion :thumbsup:

19. Blacksmith Dec 31, 2014

Hello Al, thanks for another excellent description of a watch repair with fantastic photos. I agree that you had to save this one because of the great dial, what a fantastic looking vintage omega.
    I have looked at purchasing a bumper to restore before but parts availability always put me off, you have inspired me to look again.
    Many thanks again Al keep up the good work, best wishes for a happy new year.

20. lexusislee Dec 31, 2014

Hi

You seem to know a lot lot more then me about watches, can you help me with what omega this is please? I have have it 10 years it's what got me into watches as it was my dads for many years

Cheers lee

image.jpg image.jpg