Forums Latest Members
  1. Paulb Dec 28, 2012

Hello guys!
    I discovered this forum recently and already helped me a lot! I'm a watchlover. And I guess I'm not the only one here :).
    Let me introduce me quickly. My name is Paulo, I'm 20 years old and from Brasil (forgive my english mistakes... I'm not practicing it much). I decided to buy my first Omega a couple of months ago and have been searching one ever since. I can't spend much money on my first watch but I think it will make me want buy more (and better) watches.
    I've discovered three watches. Let me post their pictures and know what you all think about them. I know they aren't perfect but I'm in college... In a couple of years I'll be able to buy the nice ones!
    Do you guys think I should wait and buy a more expensive and nice looking watch?
    Thanks in advance!

#1 - cal 30 T2 PC. Asking price: around $ 200,00.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Paulb Dec 28, 2012

#2 Know very little about this one. My friend told me it has the original mov. I can trust him... Asking price: $ 250,00.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Paulb Dec 28, 2012

#3 - cal 611. The gold plate is in very rough condition. I would plate it again. Asking price: $250,00 also.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 28, 2012

Hi Paulo and welcome to the Omega Forums.

I don't like being negative about any watches, but none of these three seem to be good examples for a first vintage watch. All have had very poor redials. All have significant case damage. The two movements show evidence of improper servicing, if in fact they weren't just put together from parts from different watches. I can almost guarantee that you will need to double the amount of the purchase price to get any of these watches running well.

Unfortunately, South America -- particularly Brazil and Argentina -- are infamous for watches like the ones you show. Very difficult to find nice original watches from that part of the world. When you find one, you're probably are going to have to pay more than $200 to $250 to get it.

This is one of the times where you need to keep your money in your pocket for a while. Take some time, post a few more watches here. Give us some eBay links if you want. Look at the sales listings here and always ask questions. We love newbies here.

We'll let you know when you are on to a good example,
    gatorcpa

P.S. - Here are a couple of old Brazilian advertisements I've found over the years:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

loveomega likes this.
  5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 29, 2012

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 29, 2012

Excellent suggestion.

The seller of these watches is a very well known collector of high end Omegas. If he says a watch was serviced, you can be certain the work was done properly.

Of the three watches in the ad, I would recommend the second one. It has the original dial, and has been recently serviced. It's only a little more expensive that the other ones you first posted.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa