Forums Latest Members

new members q for hesalite speedy owners

1. jwesterby51 Apr 6, 2024

Hi all - I've been looking forward to buying a Speedy Pro for a long time, and will likely finally pull the trigger later this year.

I'm almost certainly going to buy a hesalite, but one unanswered question is whether there's ever a danger of polishing the hesalite too much over the years. How frequently do you all polywatch your Speedmasters?

I am assuming I would be doing this once or twice a year max. I've had a Moonswatch for almost a year now, and have yet to feel the need to buffer out the small scratches, but I expect I'd be way more aggressive about a Speedy.

Thanks!

2. Dan S Apr 6, 2024

Not an issue.

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 6, 2024

:whistling:

4. Aroxx Sets his watch Apr 6, 2024

A couple times a year sounds about right. I can’t remember the last time I felt the need to Polywatch the crystal. It only needs it if you really whack it on something and put a scratch in it. Even if you do polish it frequently, I wouldn’t worry about removing too much material over the years.

RI Omega Fan likes this.
  5. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 6, 2024

I give the Polywatch treatment simply as needed. Sometimes I can go over a year between polishing, then just weeks. I'm not sure if any of us would live long enough to polish the crystal 'till it's dangerously thin. I continue to be amazed by how nasty a scratch and even gash, can be completely buffed away by hand in less than five minutes.

Best wishes on your Speedmaster quest, looking forward to wrist shots on Speedy Tuesdays!

jwesterby51 and RI Omega Fan like this.
  6. Valle de Joux Apr 6, 2024

I probably hand polish the crystal 2-3 times a year at most.

RI Omega Fan likes this.
  7. gbesq Apr 6, 2024

Nothing to be worried about. You’ll never polish through it.

GrouchoM and RI Omega Fan like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 6, 2024

I’ll tell you when I use poly on my 145.022-76 lol.

9. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 6, 2024

I’ve seen this question answered several times on this forum. What I haven’t seen is someone actually compromising their crystal by polishing it too much simply by using poly watch. You can obviously overdue it by wet sanding (IE using sand paper), but I wouldn’t worry (at all) about overdoing it with only poly watch.

But let’s say, worst case scenario, you over polish it and compromise the crystal- You will get a new crystal when you send the watch out for service.

jwesterby51 likes this.
  10. drster Apr 6, 2024

I think it depends how much you wear the watch. Once a month vs. daily makes a big difference.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 6, 2024

You couldn’t wear a crystal out between services :thumbsup:

12. GrouchoM Apr 7, 2024

Unless you have arms like these, you won't polish through the crystal between servicings.
    1000017185.jpg

jwesterby51 likes this.
  13. jwesterby51 Apr 7, 2024

ha - definitely not!

14. jwesterby51 Apr 7, 2024

Thanks all - really helpful. I realize it seemed like a dumb question, but since I'm hopefully going to be wearing this thing for 30-plus years, I had been wondering.

15. 140dave Apr 7, 2024

No worries! Heck you didn’t even make the Top 10 Dumbest Questions of the week. :)

Hope you get it and enjoy it for a few decades!

jwesterby51 likes this.
  16. Dan S Apr 7, 2024

After 30 years, you could also replace the crystal.

140dave likes this.
  17. Aroxx Sets his watch Apr 7, 2024

I respectively disagree. I wear mine daily and hardly notice any scratches on the crystal from normal wear. No need to polish.

18. MauricioNO Apr 8, 2024

I kid you not I purchased my watch in late 2020 and to this day I have two units of polywatch that are still closed in my drawer. In over 3 years I have not polished it once. It does have a tiny scratch here and there, but only noticeable when looking up close in certain light conditions.
    Granted, I only wear it about 3-5 day out of every month I'd say.