Forums Latest Members
  1. Shaun Jan 7, 2014

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased an Omega Speedmaster Automatic Reduced - 3510.50. I paid £650 for the watch and I am really happy with it. The serial number starts 53, which I blieve places the date of production between 1991 and 1993. The previous owner recently paid £200 to have the watched serviced, and it appears to be in great condition.

This is my first Omega and I would like to look after it. I’ve had a look online, but I couldn’t find any maintenance tutorials. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me how best to clean the watch and how to safely polish the crystal.

Kind regards,

Shaun

2. ulackfocus Jan 7, 2014

Hi Shaun. Sounds like you got a good deal. Servicing intervals are a subject that you'll find some variation on as we all have opinions. The standard advice is every 5 years, but that's been the mantra for decades and modern oils have longer lifespans. I think 7-8 years might be more accurate now unless you submerge the watch in salt water. You'd probably want it pressure tested every 2 - 3 years at least then.

Your crystal might be sapphire which makes it practically impossible for a layman to polish. If it's acrylic / plastic, polywatch is a favorite here and on most watch forums. Just be VERY careful to cover the bezel with masking tape or something else to avoid ruining it.

Now post a picture of your watch please.

3. Spy You know my name. Jan 7, 2014

Hello and welcome to the OMEGA family. :) For the hesalite crystal I have used Polywatch. All you have to do is apply a small portion to the crystal and use the cloth included with the tube and rub the scratches in a circular motion.

236.jpg

4. Spy You know my name. Jan 7, 2014

Your Speedy is rated to only 30 meters. i.e. Stay away from all water, especially salt water.

+1 :D

5. Shaun Jan 7, 2014

Thank you both for the warm welcome :).

Here is a picture of my Speedy:

IMG_0263.jpg

Sorry for the low image quality. I’m away from home so only have my phone available for pictures.

I’d been searching for the ‘right’ watch for what seems like forever. Very happy to hear that you think I got a good deal :) .

Great advice. I plan to keep the watch away from water, but I will have it pressure tested regularly for peace of mind.

I was a bit worried about using the wrong product and damaging the watch, but that sounds perfect. I’ll order a tube now so I have it to hand when the scratches inevitably start to show.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Shaun

6. Spy You know my name. Jan 7, 2014

Anytime. The tube is small, maybe 2.5" to 3", but you do not need to use a lot for it to work. The tube should last you for quite a while.

7. MyVintageOmega Jan 7, 2014

Welcome to the forum......:thumbsup:

8. Shaun Jan 8, 2014

I'll be sure to use it sparingly :thumbsup:. I ordered a tube through eBay, but I'm not sure if it comes with a polishing cloth. If it doesn't, will a lens cleaning cloth be good enough for the job?

Thanks for the welcome :).

9. Spy You know my name. Jan 8, 2014

It probably will do. The cloth that came with mine is more dense than my sunglass clothes. It is sort of like cotton wool.

10. Giuliano Jan 9, 2014

Welcome to the forum! I'm totaly new also;)
    Probably your watch has a plexy glass but just to let you know I got excellent result even on a mineral glass using the diamond paste on my Skipper.
    And it was also a "nice" scratch.
    Here a pic before...
    [​IMG]
    And After...
    dopolucidatura.jpg

[​IMG]

11. Shaun Jan 15, 2014

A warm welcome to you as well! Nice work :thumbsup:!

I gave it a try the other day and I am really happy with the results. I used Parafilm to protect the bezel and spent about an hour working on the watch. I used a cotton wool bud to apply the product and then polished the crystal using a lens cleaning cloth. The crystal looked good before, but now it looks like new!

Thanks again for the advice.

Spy likes this.
  12. Spy You know my name. Jan 15, 2014

:D