Forums Latest Members
  1. PilotRyan Aug 19, 2017

Hey fellas,

My name is Ryan and I'm new around here. I'm excited because I just received my first of hopefully many Omegas. It's a vintage Constellation Cal. 751. I think the reference number is 168.041.

I have several questions about it actually. I tried to verify the correctness of each part before I got it, and as far as I know it should all be correct except for one thing. I'm not sure about the hands, they seem to be incorrect for the model. They have a different shape and lume at the ends which I'm not seeing on others of the same model. I'll include some pictures so those of you with an eye for incorrect parts might be able to tell.

Thanks for the help and happy to be here!

IMG_0806.JPG
  2. mikechi22 Aug 19, 2017

Not an expert by any stretch, but given the black color on hands that coordinates with black hour markers, there's a decent chance that these might be correct. I'm eager to see what the cognoscenti say! Nice purchase by the way! I'm eager to get a late 60s/early 70s Constellation myself!

PilotRyan likes this.
  3. mikechi22 Aug 19, 2017

Oops...failed to mention the obligatory incantation: if you don't know for sure if the watch has been serviced recently, you'd be wise to get it to a trusted, vintage watchmaker. Wearing such an oldster without proper lubrication and working parts puts it at risk. Plus, it probably would love an ultrasonic bath!

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 19, 2017

Also, better pictures get better answers.

5. PilotRyan Aug 19, 2017

Thanks for the input! I plan on sending it to Tim at OmegaAddict for a service. I hope he's a trusted watchmaker around here.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 19, 2017

I think those are Omega hands from another model that uses a similar movement (56X, 75X). They will fit the watch.

This model had one of two hand styles depending on whether dial had tritum on it or not.

Without tritium:

636584ebe62dcf64e1ea6d99f6585eb5_zpspwdchtcr.jpg
    With tritium:

image8110.jpg
    While I was looking for these two, I came across this example:

[​IMG]

With vintage Omega, anything is possible.
    gatorcpa

mikechi22 likes this.
  7. mikechi22 Aug 19, 2017

Yes, Tim is "the" guy for Omega work! He's mentioned in Desmond's blog a number of times. I've bought three watches from him, in fact!

8. PilotRyan Aug 20, 2017

Ok excellent I'm glad to hear that. I'm trying to make this piece as correct as possible so I'll probably get the hands replaced when it gets serviced.

9. bama2141 Aug 20, 2017

The OP's watch seems to be a mashup of the gold & stainless model in a full stainless case. The dial has the gold markers and gold surrounding the date indicator. That said, the gold hands are a good match to the dial.

I've had mine since new in 1970. Still within COSC specs after all these years.

IMG_3066.JPG

Schmedsc likes this.
  10. PilotRyan Aug 20, 2017

Yours is the integrated bracelet model. Do you think possibly mine could have come that way seeing that it's a different model?

Also out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking; what did your watch cost new in 1970?

11. bama2141 Aug 20, 2017

It's certainly possible it came that way. I would have thought, though, that the fluted bezel would have been gold. If you stop in to an Omega Boutique you can ask to see their copy of "A Journey Through Time" that lists most Omega models produced.

Mine cost about $300 in 1970. It was clearly a major purchase for a student just graduating college, but it has served me well. Enjoy yours!

12. Sherbie Aug 20, 2017

Desmond wrote a paper - pls search calibre 751 constellation models on google and you will find it