Forums Latest Members

New Member with Vintage Omega - Help Please.

1. bass73 Feb 25, 2019

Hi,
    Looking for help with a vintage Omega that I have recently purchased. I have just joined up here and looking to learn more about these.

As the watch was not working at the time of purchase I sent it away to Omega for a full service and new parts ( face , hands , side winder ).

I am thinking of purchasing the original strap for this watch and would appreciate any thoughts on whether this would be a wise decision. I paid £75 in auction for the watch and have spent £580 on the full service and new parts.

Any help or experience is and would be appreciated, I hope what I have written does not sound stupid!

Thank you in advance
    Ian

20190225_222845.jpg 20190225_223037 (2).jpg 20190225_222908.jpg
    jagdish likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 25, 2019

What you've written isn't stupid at all. Maybe not what a seasoned watch collector with a lifetime of experience would have written, but we all start somewhere.

I don't think you need an "original" Omega strap as so much of the watch is now not original, although it is all Omega.

You can buy an Omega branded strap to suit the watch, an Omega Boteek would be the best place as 90% of the ones on the open market are fakes with Omega branding but never issued by Omega. It will be expensive tough if you go to Omega.

There are many good strap makers and sellers, one based in the UK sells straps which would suit your Seamaster.

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/

3. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 26, 2019

It’s a very nice looking watch, you’ll get a lot of pleasure wearing it and, given the trouble and expense you’ve already gone to, treat the watch (and yourself) to the classiest strap you can afford:)

4. bass73 Feb 26, 2019

Thank you JimInOz and Spruce. I appreciate the information. Ian

5. Passover Feb 26, 2019

Hi Ian,

nice looking watch!

I would be interested in seeing pictures of the watch before the service, do you have some?

Thanks

6. bass73 Feb 26, 2019

Hi Passover, I wish I did take some pictures but I didn't. Omega have sent back to me the old parts etc. Shame really but have to put it down to experience. I think I am going to add the strap ( £200 they are asking) and then it will be fully restored ( in my head!). Not sure what it will be worth at this point. I don't think I would sell just interested to know. Ian

20190226_112701.jpg
  7. Passover Feb 26, 2019

Hi Ian,

first let me make this clear: It's up to you what you decide to do with your watch(es), I (and nobody here) don't want to interfere at all!!

There are different approaches:

You decided to "make everthing look like new again", thats fine

As far as I can see, dial and hands look quite good at least so the other possibility would have been to only service the movement back to
    running condition.

Most people here on the forum prefere the second way in order to preserve as much of the original condition as possible.

So, get you a new strap (if you like to) and enjoy your watch and keep looking around here at the forum, always nice Seamasters (and other watches of course) to be seen here!

8. bass73 Feb 26, 2019

Thanks Passover. I do understand people wanting to keep the original parts and that is fine by me. I choose to get this restored because it wasn't working. This included new hands glass front etc, so I can say that it is nearly all new directly from the manufacturer. I am very happy with it and a new strap will look different as I understand it is brown in colour as well. I will keep an eye out on here and may post one last picture when the strap is on!

Als 27 and Passover like this.