Forums Latest Members

new member with Seamaster 300 master co-ax question

1. Speedy1 May 2, 2015

SM300.png Hello forum, glad to (virtually) meet everyone! I'm seriously considering the Seamaster 300 two-tone, rose gold and stainless model. I've never been a huge fan of two-tone watches, but after seeing it in person and how the aged lume looks good with the muted tone of the rose gold, it seems to be a nice package. However, there is something I've had a quetion about. Since Omega's push 'up-market' in recent years, I'm wondering if they are finally using solid gold center links on this model now, and not the capped/wrapped gold around stainless like the previous two-tone models have had. On the back of one of the center links, there is a gold hallmark and the AU750 stamp. However, it's limited to the one link, and don't know if that tell us anything definitively.

Thanks for any info!

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ May 3, 2015

I know absolutely nothing, factually, about this, and I haven't done even a microsecond of googling, but I'd be shocked if they have one "real" link and the rest a different, lower quality.

TheCaptainOfTech likes this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 3, 2015

As @Tiny Iota says, it would be inconceivable for them not to be "sedna-gold" (I guess you can call your alloy what you want) but I sincerely doubt that there is €4,480 worth of gold in the watch when compared to the stainless steel version - unless it weighs 75% more.

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 3, 2015

All the links are equal quality. Great watch.

I'm not a huge fan of two tones, or a huge fun of the 300 master but the Sedna balance as you say against the dial did catch my eye.

5. nmttd2 May 4, 2015

I have this watch.. It is solid gold links. Here are my links.. It's solid all the way

image.jpg
    Speedy1 likes this.
  6. nmttd2 May 4, 2015

It's an awesome watch... Buy it!

image.jpg
    Speedy1 likes this.
  7. Speedy1 May 6, 2015

Thanks for everyone's reply, I appreciate it! A special thanks to nmttd2 for posting the evidence that I was hoping to see, that Omega is FINALLy using solid gold links in their two-tone watches......and yes, your photo should help to lighten my wallet a bit in the coming months when I pull the trigger on it. The solid vs. capped gold links was the last hold-out in my mind on this watch, now I have no more excuses! ;)

THanks to everyone!
    Douglas

repoman likes this.
  8. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 8, 2015

The new links are good ol solid not some drilled out Rolex center links which affects the durability. It's a solid watch through and through.

9. 300 May 10, 2015

Beautiful watch! Everything in the current collection that has gold with exception of maybe one DeVille is solid gold. Hope to see some pics when you get it :)

10. Tomas Eriksson May 10, 2015

f you have the funds, go for it! It's a gorgeous piece! I also wan't a two-tone after also seeing in the flesh, my all steel will have to do for now..

11. rwilner May 12, 2015

I think the titanium seamaster chrono two tones had solid links back in the day.

Anyway, I love that piece, and I think its much more tasteful than a Rollie.

12. Speedy1 May 13, 2015

I used to own that particular Seamaster Chrono you speak of (Tantalum & rose gold), and while it was a lovely piece and bit of a grail watch at the time, it too had the gold wrapped links with steel cores. In fact, all of the two-tones in the past 15 years or so have been rolled/wrapped gold around steel, and I'm sure Omega justified it by saying "hey, we're a lot cheaper than Rolex, deal with it!"
    Now that they're more upscale with a price to match, I'm thinking they could no longer take that line of reasoning and justify it.

Now the issue of continuing to make many of their current bracelets and bracelet components in China is a different issue, and has been talked about at length on other forums and I won't get into that one