Forums Latest Members
  1. P.Greg Jan 24, 2017

Hi there,

My name is Grégory, I’m 25 and I’m from Belgium.

I’m a newbie in vintages watches but, thanks to this forum, I’ve learned many things and I became a real Omega’s fan.
    I feel lucky as some of my ancestors love quality watches and especially the Omega brand.

Last year, I was talking with my grandmother about watches and she told me « I inherited a watch from my father and I think it’s an Omega ». She didn’t know what kind of model it was and showed it to me. It was a 18k gold squared model that I’ve never seen before. She asked me : « Do you like it ? ». I answered « Yes » and she says « I give it to you ». I'm so happy, that feeling to wear an Omega that my great grandfather bought several decades ago is just amazing.

I opened it in order to find the calibre reference. It is a calibre 353, number 13.110.XXX
    After some researches on the vintage Omega website, I finally found that it is an Omega Automatic Calendar Grand-Luxe (3953 SC) 18k from 1953-1954.

My grandmother remembered that his father bought the watch in Switzerland and that he changed the original leather strap for a gold one when they made a trip in Italy. Personally, I believed that the gold strap was a little bit "too much" and I decided to change it for a leather one.
    Here is a picture with the "original" gold strap :
    OmegaCalendar%22GrandLuxe%22 - 2.jpg

And here is how it looks with the leather strap :
    Omega Calendrier Grand-Luxe - 1.jpg

She doesn’t remember any services of the mechanism. After that her father passed away, nobody used the watch.
    Therefore, I believe the watch need a good service.

Thanks for reading

2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 24, 2017

nice one ! they came in 2 sizes. what is your diameter without the crown? kind regards. achim

3. P.Greg Jan 24, 2017

Thank you

It's a 30mm diameter

4. Searching Jan 24, 2017

Really nice watch and story.

5. brunik Jan 24, 2017

Nice one!

6. ajg1960 Jan 24, 2017

Congrats. Nice family heirloom.

7. P.Greg May 31, 2017

Hi everyone,

As the watch was losing (a lot of) time, I've decided to ask to a local watchmaker to make a good revision of it. She'll be back soon.

I'd like some help regarding the crown. The original crown has been replaced several decades ago but not by an original one.
    Therefore, I'd like to get an original gold crown but after some research I couldn't find the reference or the right model of the crown on such an uncommon model of Omega.

Does anyone know the exact reference and where I can get one (I'm from Belgium) ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Edited May 31, 2017
  8. bags1971 May 31, 2017

nice watch :)

9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 31, 2017

That is a nice watch and sweet story.

You made an ideal choice in the style and color of strap you selected for the watch. It well complements it.

10. bgrisso May 31, 2017

Great watch. I think it looks WAY better on the leather strap!

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 31, 2017

3953 SC is the model number ;)

12. P.Greg Jun 1, 2017

Thanks for your comments :).

Thanks for your help ;). I knew the number of the watch, what I'm looking for is the reference of the original gold crown from this model :)

13. dialstatic Jun 1, 2017

I think you have a beautiful dress watch there. Clearly a man's watch and because of the rectangular shape, 30mm still gives it a substantial wrist presence. Lovely lugs, and faceted hour markers - those should play with the light very nicely. It's not your average Seamaster bumper, and would have set your great-grandfather back a pretty penny in the day. Honestly, I don't come across very many gold Omega dressers that I like (other than Connies) but this is certainly an exception.

GuiltyBoomerang and P.Greg like this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 1, 2017

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 1, 2017

16. P.Greg Jun 1, 2017

Thank you very much :)

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 1, 2017

No probs.

You will need your watchmaker to obtain the parts, neither company sells direct to consumers. I'd suggest Boley in Germany as this will save some costs with customs/postage etc.

P.Greg and ac106 like this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 1, 2017

Current replacement crown from Omega is 069NA32013.

Cheers, Al

P.Greg likes this.
  19. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 1, 2017

Hello Gregory.
    Lovely family story spanning 4 generations and the history of your beautiful watch. A simple but elegant time piece and I agree the leather strap is far more practical and classy.

:thumbsup:Cheers.

P.Greg likes this.
  20. WatchWarlock Jun 1, 2017

Wonderful story and nice charming piece for your to hold onto and pass down the line. Thanks for sharing!

P.Greg likes this.