Forums Latest Members
  1. Ma1352 Sep 26, 2015

Hi I'm new here and don't know much about watch industry in general and I hope someone can shed some light on my concern. I've decided to buy a speedmaster 9300 and finally I found a guy who is not an AD but can get me the watch less than my best quote from any AD. He tells me the watch is brand new and matter of comes from the AD and it even has AD's name stamped on the warranty. Questioning whether in the future this will cause service issues by Omega he says it won't because the watch is not a gray market and it comes from an AD. My concern is wouldn't omega check to see the watch was really purchased by my from the AD! What's the catch here, seems like it's a real watch from an AD but I'm thinking maybe there is more to it. Like I said I'm new and I lack the experience in this situation so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. devnull Sep 26, 2015

Who is this 'guy'?

In any event, buy the seller, not the watch. That means that if you have any reason to doubt the guy, don't do it.

3. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Sep 26, 2015

If it's a genuine Omega warranty (not a resellers private warranty: I don't know about those) it will transfer to you. No different than me buying a watch in a boutique and selling it a few months later. If you have the proper stamped cards you'll be fine.

4. Hijak Sep 26, 2015

Key words here being "proper stamped cards"...if at all possible you could ask to do the exchange at an AD and have the watch checked out before handing over the cash.:thumbsup:

5. Ma1352 Sep 26, 2015

According to him it certainly does come with AD name on the warranty card and based on my search online mostly, I wasn't able to find an explanation as to how it is. The only thing I found was a term mentioned in another forum ( I forgot the term) I believe, which basically said sometimes an AD gets a watch from another AD instead of directly ordering it from Omega, I think this kind of transaction has a name they call it.

6. abrod520 Sep 26, 2015

There are "brand new" official-warranty Omegas being sold by certain reputable sellers online, and while I don't understand how they can sell these watches at the prices they do and still make a profit, I have it on good authority that they're legitimate sellers and watches. My suggestion is to do some research on the seller of the watch in question and make a decision based on what you find :)

7. Ma1352 Sep 26, 2015

Is there anyway I could tell this watch is not a factory second or a returned watch under the warranty that is now being sold again? I was reading somewhere about red or blue dot on Omega watches red meaning it's new blue meaning it's been serviced by Omega.
    Any thoughts on this?

8. OmegaSean Sep 26, 2015

Basically your buying a second hand watch as it will have been registered from another dealer not the dealer you are buying it from. Agree with others the watch will be new but you would be the second owner hence why it's cheaper. Example would be you pay the UK dealer they source watch from anywhere in Europe (if your Europe based) and the said watch comes with the original dealer stamp on it not the dealer you buy it from and the date it was registered. If a warranty claim arose you could take it to any Omega dealer but you would have no relationship with the dealer. I was going to buy mine from a non Omega AD but the difference was a few hundred pounds and I felt this wasn't worth the saving as having a relationship with the dealer should a problem occur.

OmegaSean

9. Ma1352 Sep 26, 2015

but if something arose, I could just go to the dealer whose name is on the card, given the dealer is local right?

10. abrod520 Sep 26, 2015

You can go to any authorized service center, be it an authorized dealer or an Omega Boutique. The warranty card should read International Warranty on it and lay these terms out; the idea is that no matter where in the world you are, you can get your watch serviced.

11. Canuck Sep 27, 2015

Scenario reminds me of one that popped up on the MB not too long ago. A member bought price, and ended up with a watch that had been previously owned, and showed obvious damage. Even with an authentic warranty, the kind of damage the watch had sustained would not have been covered by an Omega warranty. The buyer was assured that the watch was brand new! I don't recall how he resolved the situation. I wish I knew how to find that thread for you. If a deal seems like too good a deal, chances are it's not the deal you are hoping for! No matter how you slice it, this is a used watch if you are not buying it from the dealer whose name is on the warranty! What are oats worth after they have been through the horse. Get the best deal you can from an AD or someone on this MB, and know you are covered.

12. Ma1352 Sep 27, 2015

Well, I was referred through a friend and I fully trust my friend, as far as this guy, he told me I'm doing it because your friend introduced you to me and that's not his main business line, I have a feeling he purchases it from an AD and I end up purchasing from him, but because he knows the AD the discount available to him is obviously more than I could get by just walking into an AD and ask for their best lowest possible price. He even mentioned they would have to order it for you since currently they don't have it in stock and it will be shipped directly from Omega.
    I will certainly show the watch to a boutique for a thorough authentication upon receipt

13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 27, 2015

Forget the nonsense about getting a used watch.This kind of deal goes on all the time.
    I have a friend who is the manager of a Breitling AD who can source me any Omega watch from the Omega AD three doors down the street at a much better price than any grey market dealer can offer, let alone the Omega AD themselves. The warranty card would be stamped by the Omega dealer and I would be the first owner.

GaryUFM likes this.
  14. Ma1352 Sep 27, 2015

Yeah I have a feeling this is what this guy has promised

15. Canuck Sep 27, 2015

Lotsa luck! Just trying to convey to you the nasty lesson learned by another poster on this MB. He got a good price on a "new", basket case Omega! Let us know if you succeed!

Edited Sep 27, 2015
  16. ulackfocus Sep 27, 2015

Bottom liine: if you're here questioning this "guy", then you don't 100% trust him. If you're that concerned about saving a few dollars, imagine how sick you'll be when you find out that the watch is (a) a return / second or (b) not working completely correct.

The possibility of getting a used watch via the grey market is VERY REAL and NOT NONSENSE. If I had a quarter for every time I've seen it happen I wouldn't have a car payment.

Yes, AD's sell watches out the back door to keep turning over inventory so they keep up their quota - but AD's also sell demos and returns out the back door to these same "guys".

17. Canuck Sep 27, 2015

Over time, many who frequent this MB complain about new watches that don't perform to their expectations. Some succeed in having the watch made right under warranty. Others indicate the watch was replaced! What do you suppose happens to the defective watches? Thrown out, broken up for parts, or fixed up and re-sold as new watches, at reduced prices? Who knows- you might be one of the lucky ones! If you are not buying the watch from the AD whose name is on the warranty, you are buying a USED watch!

18. Ma1352 Sep 27, 2015

Like I said I will definitely take the watch to an Omega boutique for authentication but if they verified it's all real then I can be certain it's a real watch right?
    Plus I was told the watch isn't even in stock and they have to order it from Omega and it will be shipped directly from Omega. Can a used or second hand or something that's not the real deal be shipped from Omega?
    I even asked him not to take it out of the plastic when he receives the package, he told me the AD doesn't even touch the package, they receive it and they hand it over to this guy and I will get it from him at the end with the watch still in the plastic case. Can all this be done with a factory second watch or a returned watch?

19. ulackfocus Sep 27, 2015

Tell yourself whatever you want to make yourself comfortable, and believe whatever you want, but the absolute fact is that it's still possible you get a watch that isn't new. If a few hundred dollars is more important to you than peace of mind, go for it. "Authentic" can still be used. And I guarantee the price you're paying is more than what the average used watch is selling for.

It amazes me how people can convince themselves of anything because their greed for the deal outweighs common sense.

Good luck!

PatrickJ likes this.
  20. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 27, 2015

The OP stated in his original post that the watch was not grey market and was coming from an Omega AD. He then added that the watch was not in stock and had to be ordered in.
    That is what I based my answer on. I have no doubt that some watches bought grey market may be returns or slightly used but that is clearly not the case here.

thelinendial likes this.