Forums Latest Members
  1. ricardopalamino Oct 1, 2015

Hi All , While I am new to this forum and collecting Omegas, I do hold memberships in other watch related forums .
    I just acquired my latest 2 Omegas and am starting to learn how to identify them and how to order parts , like replacement crystals .
    So far I gather that I need the case number that is stamped on the case back . Of these 2 watches , one has a removable case back and I believe the other is a remove thru glass Movement . On the remove thru glass model , would the case number still be stamped inside case back ?

How do I identify the production year ?

The first watch is the remove thru glass... a SeaMaster . I don't have any other info than what is in these pics...

The second watch is a Constellation . I think the case # is 14395 , and I think the crystal # would be PZ5005...Can anyone tell me if I'm correct with that Info ?
    Thanks in advance for any help and Info....I'm happy to be a member .
    Aloha , Louis

seamaster #1.png seamaster #2.png constellation #1.png constellation #2.png

constellationM and Giff2577 like this.
  2. the future Oct 1, 2015

Yes, the number will still be stamped in the caseback. The easiest way to identify the production year is to determine what year the movement was made based on its serial number. Google "omega serial numbers by year".

3. ChrisN Oct 1, 2015

These are the crystals shown by Cousins for a 14395.
    14395.jpg

The second letter should be like this: W is black; X is yellow; Y is pink; Z is stainless. But, check each time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Chris

4. TNTwatch Oct 1, 2015

It is a 14393, not a 14395 which is a bigger watch with a larger crystal that will not fit your watch. You can look up the crystal part number and buy it at CousinsUK, Ofrei or several other online parts suppliers.

Usually the ref number is engraved inside of an Omega watch, but for your other watch it's actually on both inside and outside in this instance, so it is 135.018.

You'd need a crystal remover along with an installer in order to replace it yourself. If it's just some scratch and not a crack, you can just sand and polish instead of replacing the crystal.

5. ricardopalamino Oct 1, 2015

Thank You for the reply and the correction on the case # . I zoomed in and Saw my error....Good catch TNTwatch
    I do have the tools and/or the polishing equipt .

6. TNTwatch Oct 1, 2015

Sounds like you're good to go. While you're at it, I think both of the crowns have to be replaced also. Modern replacement crowns are fine if you intend to wear the watches, as they're better in terms of usability than the vintage styles. You'd usually replace the stems as well. At least the one on the Seamaster looks crooked, and the other one is likely to be rusted a bit.

7. ricardopalamino Oct 3, 2015

Aloha TNTwatch , On the Seamaster you mentioned the "ref. number 135.018 "...what is this number referring to ? I went to Ofri looking for a crystal using this number as a case # in my search with no results .
    Thanks for the help and Info....Louis

8. TNTwatch Oct 3, 2015

It's the case reference number for that watch, similar to the other one, 14393, just in different format. You found nothing on Ofrei because they don't have anything for this case. CousinUK have the crystal for it with the white/silver tension ring PZ5085. Not sure what colour your watch is, but if it's yellow, just use the old tension ring then.

9. ricardopalamino Oct 3, 2015

Thanks for the Info TNT , and the crystal #...I'll start looking for one starting with Cousins [I have never purchased from them yet ]

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 3, 2015

11. ricardopalamino Oct 3, 2015

Howzit , Thanks for the post and the link , It is an interesting read . I was going to say I had never thought of this color option before , but earlier this year I posted A Seiko World Time watch on the SeikoCitizen Watch Forum that was gold in in color . It had the world cities in an inner bezel but the watch had a crystal with a gold tension ring . I did't think much of it until a member posted a pic of his similar watch and he had changed the crystal to a silver tension ring and I liked the difference because it made the dial look bigger and didn't seem to crowd the writing with the cities as much . To me it looked much better .

As for what the purists say ,....They always make good points on keeping a watch original but what I wear on my wrist is in the eye of the behokder...me . If I change out a part like a dial , hands , chapter ring , or bezel insert on a collectable vintage watch I will keep the original parts just like the original links to a bracelet , should I ever decide to sell that watch . That way the new owner can choose my changes or go back to original .
    I like both looks of the watch in your link . The silver tension ring made the dial look larger ,...The gold ring followed the theme and looked nice ,....and it can always be switched back .

There is a place in this world for purists and politicians and their views , .... but there is more than one way to do things .

hoipolloi likes this.