Forums Latest Members
  1. semper_shells Nov 22, 2016

I am re-posting this in a new forum because I am pretty sure I originally posted in the wrong one.(Not trying to spam or anything, just want to be apart of the community and get some advice)

So I will start by saying I am new to the watch world and after recently purchasing a Seiko skx007j I am already looking to buy again. So here’s where I need assistance. I am getting ready to make my first big watch purchase and would like some opinions on what I’ve narrowed my choices down to. I have done some research on these particular models and have chosen what I think are unique and fun examples. I prefer vintage and currently feeling the non-traditional shape of the cases (don’t know the correct term for this style of case) I would like to keep this purchase under $3K and if all else fails and I can’t find good examples of these then I will get a vintage Speedmaster. Thoughts?
    View attachment 309320

Movado Datron
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/201724155351?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Movado datron.jpg

Omega Seamaster

https://www.crownandcaliber.com/buy/omega/omega-vintage-seamaster-176-007-erp45986
    seamaster.jpg

2. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 22, 2016

My advise: don't buy anything in the next 3 months... You will learn so much here your choice in 3 months will be different from today's.

And 3k is a lot of dough ;)

3. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Nov 22, 2016

This^^^^^

I'm just hitting my 3 month mark (feels longer, oh how I've grown up) and my preferences have changed drastically as I have seen more and learned more. Just keep an eye on the WRUW thread and take note of what you like.

Halldawg and ahartfie like this.
  4. semper_shells Nov 22, 2016

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on purchasing within the next few months. It's actually a graduating present to myself. I really like the Speedmaster but want to learn enough to choose a great reference.

Jwit and noelekal like this.
  5. Jking something intelligent and witty... Nov 22, 2016

I'll throw my lot in with @al128 and @Jwit. My first was a Seamaster AT ref 2503.80 (purchased via this forum) and I've been hunting for #2 the last six months myself and I've changed my mind about 10 times as I've spent more time here and continue to be exposed to new brands and watches that catch my eye.

However to answer your question I would go with the movado between those two purely based on look. More experienced collectors might be able to give you a more technical reason for their choices. I'm sure you will get plenty of feedback!

6. semper_shells Nov 23, 2016

From what I've read online this particular Movado is a really great example as it has the El Primero movement inside and from what I've read as far a Chronos go that is a great thing. Thanks for your input.

Jking likes this.
  7. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Nov 23, 2016

Since I have a 176.007 AND this is an Omega forum I vote for the Seamaster. ;) It is a great looking watch and you will wear it well for years to come. Welcome aboard. Hang around here and it won't be your last Omega I'm sure.

semper_shells likes this.
  8. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Nov 23, 2016

The movado 3019 would be a scary everyday watch! worn on occasion suited ok... but i would not like to wear it daily..

be caught in heavy rain forget to take it off in a shower, get into a fight, catch a basketball traveling at velocity, go on holidasy with prolonged sunlight on the beach... get hit by a car.. you stand a good chance of messing with a notoriously "finicky" highbeat 3 reg cam switched chrono.. with VERY expensive and rare service parts.. scary movement...
    you would also probably like to get a trust fund type account set up for your watch and its bi-annual service costs due being worn daily...

however the speedmaster & more so the seamaster.. would take a good hit or two good robust cases and movements. cheap and available parts..

when buying the first expensive watch.. DO set aside a good few hundred extra for the first PROPER service (not dads mates brother that plays with watches in hish shed on a sunday) especially if your looking at "Most" online (ebay particularly) dealers..

9. semper_shells Nov 23, 2016

Thanks for the insight, that makes a great deal of sense and has probably caused me to eliminate that Movado from the conversation all together. I never thought about the serviceability of a watch and factoring it in when deciding on a watch to buy. It's funny cause I use that as a huge metric when buying cars. I think for the first expensive watch I'm am going to try to avoid eBay and either use a trusted Forum like this or a resale website.

Halldawg likes this.
  10. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Nov 23, 2016

a resale website.? sounds dodgier than ebay if you DO use ebay use a business seller =) they are now OBLIGED to offer a 30 day return. thats enough time for a watch Doc to tell you its ok.. Just dont tell the seller you had it checked as then the seller could refuse under eBays 3rd party tampering rule. but you can return a watch in the first 30 days for any or no reason.. I know im an ebay seller we dont like it.. but if your a good seller never mind! you can sell it again..

PS i dont have any of the watches you were after =)

11. Jking something intelligent and witty... Nov 23, 2016

Told you that you'd get some great technical feedback!

Halldawg and semper_shells like this.
  12. semper_shells Nov 23, 2016

Awesome info. thanks.One of the websites I have been looking at is Crown and Caliber. I imagine the deal might not be as sweet but sometimes you have to pay a little more to make sure the merchandise is good. What do you have for sale?

https://www.crownandcaliber.com/

Also, I just was jumping around on the Googles and discovered Amazon sells certified pre-owned watches.For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Omega-Speedm...D=6358539011&keywords=omega+speedmaster&psc=1

13. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Nov 23, 2016

www.fullywound.com / http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/fullywound.. not too much on site at the moment things fly out at christmas time...

thats another good tip if its not for a few months buy mid to end of january / february time online sales die down a bit post christmas so seller are inclined to accept lower offers look at buy it nows (with best offer accepted) on ebay for that!

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 23, 2016

I agree on waiting and seeing what catches your eye. What I liked at the start of my journey is not the same as now. I actually did not like the speedy pro at all. Now thanks to this forum I own a birthyear one. While I own my favorite Planet Ocean ever made with an Orange 3313 Chrono I'm not sure if I would buy it today. I never thought I would fall in love with a reverso or own a panda speedmaster. The watch that first caught my eye the Rolex 1655 Orange hand explorer II is still my grail but some member here pointed out the massive readability issue with it and now that is something that I cannot unsee lol.

You will also end up spending more on straps for your skx then it is worth and love every bit of it.

Jking and semper_shells like this.
  15. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 23, 2016

See how handy the world famous @al128 "three months rule" comes? :thumbsup: