Forums Latest Members
  1. Pvgc1 Aug 4, 2017

Hello all!
    1st post!
    Big watch fan here and love the Omega's for quite some time. I'm curious as to two omega's I have come across recently.

My question is: what's the best resource for referencing model numbers for Omega?

Granted the selling website may have been wrong but I searched Google, Chrono24 and the link on this site to the 16 page historical list and didn't find them?
    Finally, I went into the local Omega store and the rep looked through the "encyclopedia" and didn't find it either! She said that sometimes there are special edition during certain years but are not "widely recorded"???? Which of course was the perfect segway for her (understandably) to launch into the "that's why you never want to buy preowned" conversation lol!

Anyways, that just didn't seem logical to me or is it? I appreciate your feedback in advance.

I certainly would be remiss if I didn't include what the selling website used as the reference numbers and I would add photos but I'm getting a mismatch error in doing so??!

Thanks again everyone!

2. mikechi22 Aug 4, 2017

Hi there! I think this Omega resource is a decent one, but in my experience it has some holes:

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/14966/

This will bring you to a particular movement and case I'm researching, but just dig around in there a bit.

In this forum, there is a sticky thread that is called "all Omega calibers" which is also a helpful reference.

There had been an awesome, illustrated reference from Thailand called naligazone.com that has disappeared. I'm doing my best to find that owner and raise it from the dead, but let's see.

I've been referred to the Ranfft company site, but I don't find it very helpful. You might have better luck:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Omega_502

Again, it's on a page that interested me, but just dig around!

Happy hunting!

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Pvgc1 Aug 4, 2017

4. Pvgc1 Aug 4, 2017

Sorry hit send before I typed "thank you"

5. Pvgc1 Aug 4, 2017

Have you found in your experience any truth to what I was told in the omega shop that some limited editions are not "widely recorded". That didn't seem to make sense to me but what do I know? Lol

Also if I wanted to post photos what am I doing wrong to generate the "contents not matching the file description" error message?

6. mikechi22 Aug 4, 2017

I wouldn't put any faith in that statement about limited editions not being recorded. I think some times you might not find a case number listed with a particular movement or something but these are Swiss people, so there's no way they're just going to fail to document something they made! I'll link that all calibers documebt for you so you get an idea.

As far as posting, I'm a tech simpleton and it's worked every time, posting from my iPad and iPhone photo roll, so I'm not sure what might be happening for you. Sounds like a PC thing. Shudder.

7. mikechi22 Aug 4, 2017

8. Davidt Aug 5, 2017

The vintage database isn't complete. It frequently shows cases only in gold plate that were actually available in steel as well, or only shows one dial configuration when muloitoles ones were offered.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 5, 2017

@Pvgc1 - is there a specific model you were after? It would be far preferable to ask questions in regards to that as @Davidt says, the database isn't complete. Not even the 'Omega Bible,' A Journey Through Time, with it's 800+ pages in hardback, has every single model.

10. Pvgc1 Aug 6, 2017

Thanks: I tried to respond before but it looks like it didn't go thru!
    The selling website lists them as omega 52035 and omega 35138

11. Pvgc1 Aug 6, 2017

12. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 6, 2017

Website link please :)

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 6, 2017

The database is known to be missing some models, and have some erroneous info on the cases, i.e. Gold plated or even in one example says only stainless but there are clearly solid gold versions.

Those numbers look like locally cased numbers. In some time periods and some countries movements and dials where shipped to the countries and used locally made cases due to import restrictions. Those do not show in the database consistently.

Pictures of the watch, movement and caseback can help experienced members here tell you about the watch.

X350 XJR likes this.