Forums Latest Members

New member - Speedy Pro Moonwatch questions

1. daveb99 May 23, 2018

Hi,

I've just discovered this forum, what a fantastic place!

As a current owner of an SMPc for the last 5 years (what a great watch) I'm considering a Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch (Hesalite).

I'm used to the relatively robust nature of my SMPc - with the ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal. I'm aware that the Speedy Pro Hesalite will scratch much more easily, but what about the rest of the watch? I've done a bit of reading on here and seen lots of photos, and the bezels seem to mark easily - I presume it isn't ceramic? I know having a well worn Speedy Pro is not a bad thing, and I fully respect that some people are happy to wear them like that, but I'm in the opposite camp, occasional wear and keep it nice etc.

So my question is, will the bezel scuff / mark / wear easily? I'm mostly concerned about the occasional knock - which doesn't seem to affect my SMPc at all.

What about the case, I presume that is basically just as robust as my SMPc?

Many thanks in advance..

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 23, 2018

Nearly five years old worn daily the last three years. I could poly-watch the crystal and it would look like new.

image.jpeg

Google NASA watch tests.

gemini4 likes this.
  3. daveb99 May 23, 2018

Thanks Standy that’s good to know - is that just dirt on the bezel?

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 23, 2018

Yep, was just before I gave it a tub as I picked that up myself.::facepalm2::

5. ras47 May 23, 2018

Same steel used in the Speedmaster and Seamaster. If you're worried about scratching the crystal, do what I did and get a model with the Sapphire glass instead of Hesalite. Waaaaay more expensive to replace if damaged, and not polishable like Hesalite, but it takes a beating and doesn't scratch easily. Micro-scratches drive me up a tree so I'd be polishing them out every hour.

I've found my co-axial (44.25mm auto-winding) Speedy to be very robust. I'm not super careful with my watches, but I do remove them if I'm doing anything like building a rock wall, at the gym, etc. Mine still looks new.

6. Scott S May 23, 2018

Only had mine since February but it's worn regularly and still looks pristine. I think the Hesalite is more durable than people give it credit for, and the "twisted case" seems to protect the polished parts. My bezel is fine too.

7. BatDad May 23, 2018

I've had a few dings in the bezels of mine - nothing too ridiculous - but most of them happened when I got too close to a door.

I probably look like a crazy person now, as each time I get close to something I think could ding the watch I put my watch arm behind my back.

8. Jerseyhammer May 23, 2018

SOUND ADVICE