Forums Latest Members

New Member - Searching for my first Omega

1. BadAndy May 17, 2015

Hello all,

I have been looking through these forums for several weeks. Soon, I will be in the market for a new watch, and am leaning toward an Omega. Will most likely buy in the next few months. I prefer to buy new, but could be open to a very good like new one if it is right for me.

Currently I have two relatively nice watches. Both are Breitlings. My first one is a Colt Ocean Automatic, stainless pilot bracelet, white face. My other is an Evolution two tone with black dial, gold sun dials and stainless and gold bracelet. My colt is mostly my daily wearer.

For my next watch, I am thinking of an Omega. Originally I was drawn to the Hour Vision "Orbis". I love that blue. I am looking for a watch I could wear with a suit, and elegant without being "flashy". Since discovering the Orbis, I have also discovered the AT blue "Skyfall", and the new Globemaster in stainless and blue with leather strap.

I want something with a clear back to show off the movement. I want a leather strap, and I want a blue face. The simpler and cleaner looking the better. I am not interested in a chronograph movement. Not necessarily looking for a diver watch (although I do see an orange bezel planet ocean down the road...., not quite yet... a little outrageous).

I don't hear a lot of talk about the Hour Vision on these forums. Most people tend to talk about speedmasters and seamasters. Is there anything wrong with that watch? I think all three have the 8500 movement (although the new Globemaster has an improved version with other certifications, which don't sound all that necessary to me.

Interested in hearing what other people think.

2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 17, 2015

Hour Vision Orbis is a beauty. Solid watch.

3. bb58 May 17, 2015

The Speedmaster has the 9300 movement, which is the 8500 with the chronograph function.

The Hour Vision Orbis is beautiful and would definitely fill the role of a dress watch, but just for the sake of variety you could take a look at the Aqua Terra 8500. They have some beautiful blue dials.
    [​IMG]

Diving capability aside, the new Seamaster 300M looks beautiful in blue. However the blue one only comes in titanium so it's going to cost more than the stainless steel models.
    [​IMG]

For what it's worth, I would recommend you get your watch with the metal bracelet and then swap it out for a leather strap. The bracelets cost more on their own than a leather strap, even the OEM strap+deployment, and this way if you wanted to put the bracelet on later you still have that option.

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 17, 2015

A number of people here have the AT in blue, including myself. Here is mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other option that meets your requirements (although not new) is the Speedmaster Gemini 4 limited edition, from 2005. I've got one on today:
    [​IMG]

5. Mothra May 18, 2015

I sold seven watches last year to fund an hour vision. I love everything about it. A positive is the chunkier, mirror polished lugs than an AT, a possible negative is the chunkier mirror polished lugs than an AT. I love the fact you can see the shapes of the movement through the sides and frequently bore my friends by showing them. Good luck!

6. Superdoc May 18, 2015

I am a big DeVille lover...
    Hour vision is superb...

For Blue... Don't forget about the DeVille line... Dressier of the bunch, but the 8500 have a hefty presence to them that can be dressed down...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    (Last one isn't mine.....yet)

dsio likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 18, 2015

That rose gold Hour Vision is epic

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 19, 2015

I thought that, then tried it on. I REALLY DIDNT LIKE the size of the Roman numerals on it. Threw out the entire aesthetic of the dial.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 19, 2015

Hour vision? The second one not the chronograph

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 19, 2015

Sorry, the 9300 chrono. Not the hour vision.