Forums Latest Members

New member / owner question

1. MLENAYS Oct 6, 2015

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg hi everyone
    Big hello from sunny Queensland Australia
    I've recently acquired a James Bond Quantum of Solace Omega SeaMaster pro. 600m. I'll try to upload a pic. How can I tell if this is genuine? I got lucky at an auction however they had the serial number covered up. When the transaction was complete, I took the little black sticky tape off and both to my horror and joy, it's number 1 out of 5007. Horror because that screams copy? It's almost too good to be true but now I can't sleep until I find out if I'm in fact the owner of number 1 in this series. Pls help :)

2. MLENAYS Oct 6, 2015

I've googled every instruction to tell a replica apart and this unit passes every test. From the omega logo engraved on the crown to the helium symbol on the release valve to the laser etched Quatum Of Solace in the inside of the face (barely visible in pic). Night time luminosity is like new watch and i can't find info on exact weight of watch with this particular band to check. Needless the to say, the band and buckles etc all have correct logos and engravings where they should. I'm just a born skeptical pessimist!! Can't be that easy to stumble on #1.

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 6, 2015

What a coincidence. I also have number 1, someone brought it back from Kuala Lumpur as a gift five years ago.
    That should tell you something. Hope you sleep better tonight.

Unluckyfred, Geo! and MLENAYS like this.
  4. MLENAYS Oct 6, 2015

Knew it :( that's one darn expensive copy. Thanks mate

5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 6, 2015

Well, if it's any consolation the one I have has a half decent automatic movement that was very accurate and sturdy when I wore it for work before I retired.

6. MLENAYS Oct 6, 2015

To be honest mate this unit looks, feels, weights and performs the business. It is indeed very good quality. Ah well..guess I'll wear it to get my $ worth. Ironic that the law enforcement agency would auction this.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 6, 2015

Sorry you were ripped off. In the instructions you looked at, did they mention the position of the HEV relative to the 10 o'clock marker? Frist thing I noticed when I opened the thread and saw the first photo...if the HEV is right at 10 like yours is, that's a big tell of it being a fake.

Also from what I can see of the QOS etching on the crystal, it looks bigger than on an original...

[​IMG]

So this was one of those law enforcement auctions of seized items? I would certainly be asking for a refund...

Cheers, Al

MLENAYS likes this.
  8. MLENAYS Oct 6, 2015

Many thanks. I'll def look closer at the valve position when I get home.
    Yes it was a police seized auction and I def be taking it up further although it's been a couple of months. :(
    Ironically, this purchase lead me to this forum where I see many nice seamasters for sale within my budget.
    Thanks heaps

9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 6, 2015

One other point, the QOS only came with the black bezel.

10. TNTwatch Oct 6, 2015

Beside the wrong position, the valve cap has the wrong shape, as well as the crown. Orange bezel with the wrong pip also. Just a bad copy.

PS: Not sure how you googled every instruction, but every instruction I've seen would tell about the valve position and the pip at the minimum. But newer copies have gotten very good at these, so beware.

Edited Oct 6, 2015
  11. Unluckyfred Curry from India = good. Watches from India = bad Oct 6, 2015

I too have bought a few "dogs" and keep on doing it ! I don't think I will ever stop, it's a bad habit, this forum is informative and funny but I am slowly learning to take on board the info. Keep on !