New member, old Omega owner...

HI,

I think it's generally bad form for the first post from a new member of any forum or group to jump straight in with questions so this, being my first post here, is just to say Hi! and introduce myself.

I'm in the UK and my parents wanted to give me a watch for my 21st birthday leaving the choice up to me. That was at the end of 1971 so, with some research over a few weeks, decided on an Omega 145.017 (which I believe was a new model in 1972). It cost £67 and I later added a matching stainless steel bracelet (which is marked 31 (in a circle), 1098 and Omega) which I recall cost £8.

Both had hard lives as I wore it everywhere (including rebuilding motorbikes, cars, houses and on caving trips) so got through a few strap pins and crystals. I stopped wearing it years ago when I finally broke the bracelet clasp but that may be mentioned in another post 😀

Cheers,
John

Welcome ! & what a good choice you made. Love the 145.017.

Nothing better than a story of well loved, lived life to the full watch...... except maybe a story with pictures 😀

Thanks for the welcome folks. Pictures, yes of course 😀
Here's a few and it's only when photographed and enlarged like this that the wear and tear the poor thing has endured over the years becomes clear including the broken tab on the bracelet clasp. It runs but needs a service, new crystal and, if possible, a good polish to remove the worst of the scratches. I'll probably use Alex at Vision Vintage Watches for no other reason than he has a good looking website (that lists a 145.017 ).

Cheers,
John

5D3_1167.JPG

5D3_1172.JPG

5D3_1168.JPG

5D3_1169.JPG

5D3_1170.JPG

5D3_1174.JPG

Nice version.
Be careful with the polish. I would start with the service & new glass and see the result there but that's only if I were you which I'm not 😀

Very nice one !

I would not polish too much, if at all ... New crystal will do the trick. That broken clasp piece has no stampings, so you might be lucky and find a generic part from a different bracelet to replace it ...

Welcome ! Nice and solid watch 👍 and BIKE - I had exactly the same one 😀 - bavarian-blue-white

I would like that you wouldn't change motorbikes for watches as another person I know. Enjoy both.

Welcome ! Nice and solid watch 👍 and BIKE - I had exactly the same one 😀 - bavarian-blue-white
I've had that bike for years and it's taken me all over the country and Ireland. I especially like Scotland and it's so comfortable that I can easily get there from Devon in a day - and it's then that the fun starts 😀 Would I ever sell it? probably not and it's the same with the watch. 😀