Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 15, 2013

Well I finally broke down and agreed with my wife's requests for another dog. So today we make a short trip to the breeder, and added a second Whippet to our family...

[​IMG]

Raven, or current dog, is on the right, and the new one on the left is Remi - like Raven he is a show dog champion and we are getting him as an adult at 3 years old. Raven was about the same age when we got here, and she is now 7. Even though he's the male, she is a bit bigger than he is. He's pretty thin right now, but it won't take us long to get a little more substance to him.

He is very cuddly compared to Raven and loves to lay his head on your lap. And of course now we are even - 2 males and 2 females in the house, so I don't feel outnumbered now!

Anyway this is on a trial basis, but if the first day is any indication, he will likely be a permanent member of the family.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Al

2. ulackfocus Nov 15, 2013

:p

When I come back, I want to be reincarnated as one of my family's pets. What a life, eh?

Brindle looks the coolest on long & lean dogs.

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 16, 2013

Constantly under pressure to bring another Beagle in to the household, my only concern is Sandy as he has always been "my boy" and I would not want him to feel put out with a new arrival.
    If you have the time keep us updated on the settling in.
    Obviously this post will be kept well out of sight of the good lady ;)
    Btw Sandy arrived at eighteen months a failed show dog :( Brother went on to great things, for all his looks he just couldn't be bothered with the show ring.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 16, 2013

My dog knowledge is limited to having several dogs during my childhood and watching many Cesar Milan Dog whisperer series.
    There are no such thing as 'feel put out with a new arrival' in dog instinct. Their instinct is go together with the pack.
    Trouble happened when the pack is in disharmony. That's when your role as pack leader tested.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 16, 2013

[​IMG]Our cat was a show cat.his showname was Shakira Stormchaser. Now we just call him Ian.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 16, 2013

The breeder we get our dogs from is someone who really takes a lot of time to understand our needs, and in this case the needs of the dog already in the house. Both these dogs are quite calm, and so far they are getting along very well, although Raven the female keeps humping the male - dominance thing, but we knew going in she was a very dominant female.

Of course we followed some common sense steps when bringing the new dog home, like taking the old one with us in the car to pick up the new one, and bringing them both into the house at the same time.

The big hurdle now is toilet training, since these were kennel dogs it took us a while to get Raven on track, and Remi is already making progress.

Things are going very well so far - of course less than 24 hours in, but I'm quite pleased with the progress!

Cheers, Al

7. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Nov 16, 2013

Congats. I like Whippets & Greyhounds.

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 16, 2013

Would normally agree with you but in my case with Sandy he has no interest in other dogs, 100% a people person and in particular you know who :)

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 16, 2013

Nice one Al. I guess you'll have to get a new flat cap to go with him.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2013

I love how he had that name and now he's just Ian.

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2013

No problem there. Stuart's role is very secure.
    Some of you may remember a US sitcom called, "Home Improvement' staring Tim Allen as Tim the Toolman.
    A running gag on the show involved Tim's neighbor , Mr. Wilson and that we never got to see Wilson's face. It was always obscured behind a fence or other object.
    186ss9.jpg

Well, have you noticed that we have seen many pictures of Sandy, scenes in France, Spain and Scotland, even birds, but never pictures showing all of Alpha (Stuart) ??

Well on a recent visit to Scotland I uncovered the answer which is seen below, next post.

Privateday7 likes this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2013

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 16, 2013

He got too many worshiper here .......:p

14. Dablitzer Nov 16, 2013

Beautiful.. Reminds me of my aunts, lovely temperament! :)

15. GETS Nov 17, 2013

I love dogs. It was only 20 months ago that I had my first dog and now I see why everyone that owns one loves them so much.

Congrats on the new edition to your family.

16. CdnWatchDoc Nov 18, 2013

Wicked one Steve!! I love it!! This is why Sandy is "just one of the family".

17. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 18, 2013

As close as you'll get to the real deal, don't want to frighten the kiddies with a full frontal :)

moto_0040.jpg

STANDY likes this.
  18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 18, 2013

Like it, maintains the mystery .

watchme likes this.
  19. CdnWatchDoc Nov 18, 2013

Aye, mon +1

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 19, 2013

Thanks - the two are getting along very well as this photo illustrates:

[​IMG]

He is a great addition so far!

Cheers, Al