Forums Latest Members

New member needing advice on repair / sell of vintage watch

1. Harlod Jan 21, 2018

Hi, I'm a new member of this forum, really joined because this looks like an active forum and I could use some advice. My mother asked me to sell a vintage Omega watch that was given to my father by my grandfather for his high school graduation in 1954. After trying to get info from online dealers without much luck, I took the watch to the local jeweler for an inspection, he gave me the case # (F6212) and model (342). The inside case also says "gold filled" and I also have a movement # and serial number from the jeweler that appears to put the manufacture date of 1952. While he had the case open, he mentioned that the watch is in excellent overall condition, but said that there was a "case screw" missing. After making sure that the screw wasn't left anywhere in the watch, he said that it probably fell out at some earlier point in time and really is only adding additional stability and not necessary for its proper function.
    So my questions are: 1.If I were to sell this watch privately on ebay or this forum, how would I go about evaluating the condition and determining a fair price to ask? 2. Would you recommend that I try to replace the missing case screw prior to selling it and if so, do you think I could take it to a local watch repair shop for this type of repair or would I need to go through Omega? Depending on these questions and how much I could reasonably expect to get for this watch and how much it might cost to replace the screw if necessary, I may sell it or may just opt to buy it from my mother and keep it. Thanks for your help and patience with a newbie.

DSC04785.jpg DSC04779.jpg
  2. kkt Jan 22, 2018

Search completed sales on Ebay to get some idea. As far as metals, gold commands the highest price, stainless steel next, gold capped next, gold filled next, and plated last. The dial looks nice, however I'm not sharp enough to tell if it's original or redialed; original would command a premium.

You can't sell on this forum until you have 200 posts, because this is a forum, not a sales outlet. Also putting it up for auction on Ebay will tell you what the market price is.

If you're just selling it, I would just disclose the missing screw and not have it fixed. The buyer will want to give it a full service anyway and the screw should be inexpensive to do at the same time.

If it were me, I'd keep it as a family heirloom. Have it serviced and wear it on special occassions.

Devil Doc and Caliber561 like this.
  3. Caliber561 Jan 22, 2018

To some of those who are more experienced with these 50s/60s dress watches, is this a US cased Omega? I don't know if that would affect the value, but it might be something the OP would want to take into account.

4. marturx Jan 22, 2018

You should keep it. You will only eventually regret selling a family heirloom, and it's not that valuable that it should mean the slighest difference to your economy

kkt, chronoboy64, Syrte and 3 others like this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 22, 2018

Read the sales forum stickies. You can ask for permission to sell it here (despite the 200 post rule), provided you give enough references to prove you are a solid bloke.

6. Canuck Jan 22, 2018

Sell it, and in a month, you’ll have neither the watch, OR the money!

Devil Doc, Syrte, mydeafcat and 3 others like this.
  7. Harlod Jan 22, 2018

Thanks for the feedback! If I were to keep it, approximately how much to have it serviced and where do I take it? I am in the Denver, CO area if you know of any reputable places nearby. I rarely wear watches but I may very well decide to reimburse my mom and keep it (she is living on fixed income and could use the cash for expenses so one way or another I will give her a fair price for the watch). As I mentioned in my earlier post, my dad got it for his high school graduation and only wore it for special occasions himself so I'm confident that it spent most of the time since 1955 in his drawer.

8. Maganator Jan 22, 2018

Am I the only one that looked at the first picture and thought "wow, weird crown guard"? ::shy::

9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 22, 2018

Made of meat...

chronoboy64 and mydeafcat like this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 22, 2018

It will cost you a few hundred to service it. A watchmaker who specializes in vintage service and restoration will do. Ask around, check references. I agree ...better to service and wear than trying to sell. Its not a valuable watch.

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2018

Just to clarify a little for you, F6212 is the reference number or model of the watch. 342 is the caliber or movement type in the watch. What you are calling movement number is the movement serial number. Every movement has its own serial number.

12. François Pépin Jan 22, 2018

From the infos given by the OP, yes, it is an American cased Omega.

13. Vitezi Jan 22, 2018

14. Harlod Jan 22, 2018

Thanks for the info and advice - will plan on getting it serviced and keeping it.

kkt likes this.
  15. Canuck Jan 22, 2018

I think you will find that a decent watch such as the Omega, and one with a sentimental component, will introduce you to a different aspect of wearing a watch. People who say they don’t wear a watch generally look at anything that will tell the time as a service item only. No esthetics, just tell the time. Now you have the chance to wear a timepiece that is practical, has an intrinsic component, and a family attachment. Enjoy!

16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 22, 2018

Plus it looks really nice. That dial is in such perfect condition. Just remove that horrid 1950s bracelet and put a nice flat vintage style brown lizard or croc and it will look terrific.

Caliber561, Larry S and kkt like this.