Forums Latest Members
  1. KEN KESSLER Sep 24, 2018

Greetings, thanks for accepting my application for membership. I was recently given a box of stuff that was my Dad's. He was a pilot for PanAm in the fifties and sixties. Attached is a photo of a watch he wore as he traveled the world. I'd like some information about it's age, collectability, etc. Obviously it was well "loved". I'm in Pasadena CA and would like to have it cleaned up and get a new strap... recommendations? Thanks in advance. Ken

IMG_20180924_122222.jpg
    MCC, coffeetime, Taddyangle and 19 others like this.
  2. qboa Sep 25, 2018

it is a beautiful one

Syrte likes this.
  3. Fialetti Sep 25, 2018

Looks great. You might want to take a look at this thread about watch repair in LA:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/trusted-watchmakers-in-los-angeles.79352/

There are a few in Pasadena proper too, but I haven't used any of them so I can't comment.

Standard advice on this forum is to avoid polishing the case, and not to run the watch before it's serviced. If a watchmaker opens it up for you, you can photograph the movement and the inside of the caseback, which will give you a unique serial number and a reference (model) number. These make dating and comparison easier.

Lots of information on constellations can be found on this forum, but the bible is: http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

Edited Sep 25, 2018
    larryganz likes this.
  4. neilfrancis Sep 25, 2018

Out of interest. Are you THE Ken Kessler?
    Regardless, greetings, and welcome to OF.
    Lovely Omega, btw. I am sure the experts will be along shortly...
    Best, N.

felsby, Nathan1967 and Wivac like this.
  5. Edward53 Sep 25, 2018

That's a lovely watch. It doesn't need to be "cleaned up" in any way as it's just perfect as is. It only needs servicing by a watchmaker experienced with vintage Omegas and who is sympathetic to its originality.

6. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 25, 2018

Probably a 354 "bumper" movement under the hood. If you gently rotate the watch with dial facing you do you feel a slight tug?

Nice watch. Like others have mentioned you should get it serviced by an independent watchmaker.
    Service implies complete dismantling of the watch, cleaning of the watch movement parts, reassembly, lubrication, adjustment.

7. neilfrancis Sep 25, 2018

As regards strap recommendations... a quality black shiny 'gator. ;)

felsby likes this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 25, 2018

The dial on your watch is in outstanding original condition. Better than 95%+ of what you will find online.

I’m guessing your watch is this one:

https://web.archive.org/web/2016042....com/index.php/data-watch/omega/caliber-5/430

Black dials on these were uncommon.

Original crowns are available for this case. A watchmaker knowledgeable with vintage Omega should be able to find one for you.

Very nice watch!
    gatorcpa

9. KEN KESSLER Sep 25, 2018

I get a "bump, bump, bump..." thanks for the information. The watch runs but gains time ... Ken

Deafboy likes this.
  10. KEN KESSLER Sep 25, 2018

Thanks.. I don't remember when my Dad didn't have it on his wrist... It just seemed to disappear after he retired in the 70's... Ken

11. KEN KESSLER Sep 25, 2018

I'll take it by Shant's later today and see what they say... Thanks for the information... Ken

12. KEN KESSLER Sep 25, 2018

If you mean the audiophile/horologist.... alas no... but I have a love for all things mechanical. Ken

Nathan1967 likes this.
  13. KEN KESSLER Sep 25, 2018

Thanks for the heads up.... I planned to leave the case as is.... the crystal is pretty heavily scratched but serviceable so I'll let it be for now and just wear it as is..... Thanks again... Ken
    '

14. KEN KESSLER Sep 25, 2018

Because my Dad wore the watch daily I remember he had a stretch metal band.....easy on easy off... I'll definitely upgrade to a nice leather ban, 'gator sounds good.... I have a rather large wrist so it might be difficult to find... Thanks Ken

15. KEN KESSLER Sep 25, 2018

Thanks! Maybe Shant's here in Pasadena has access to the crown... Or maybe I'll just let it be and enjoy the watch and memories... Ken

16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 25, 2018

It’s a stunning watch and even better if associated with a beloved relative.

There’s a sticky thread entitled « watch strap ressources » with tons of recommendations for where to get straps. A shiny alligator would be too shiny IMO but I agree a FLAT matte alligator strap with large scales would look beautiful. Personally I hate padded straps and would find one overbearing on an elegant vintage watch. It would clash.

One question is whether you’re looking for an Omega branded strap.
    Other great (and cheaper) options for this watch would include:
    - black shell cordovan strap (with thin black stitching). Several members here make cordovan straps.
    - black vintage style saffiano strap from Massimiliano aka Glc straps. I like them a lot but must admit I never bought from him. He does get consistently good reviews though.

Regards
    S

Larry S likes this.
  17. KEN KESSLER Sep 25, 2018

Thanks, Ken

18. AdamS Sep 25, 2018

Ken,

Welcome. If Shant's doesn't work, LA Watch works is also local in Pasadena and they do great work.

19. TexOmega Sep 25, 2018

One word of advice, in the future have a warning post prior to posting more pictures of this watch. My heart skipped a beat and my loud gasp scared the cat.

WoW

And welcome.

Larry S and merchandiser like this.
  20. KEN KESSLER Sep 26, 2018

Thanks....Ken