Forums Latest Members

New member, looking for advice on Seamasters

1. X351 Dec 7, 2015

Hi, I'm a complete novice to the world of Vintage watches. I'm looking to buy my husband a vintage Omega - I know he likes the Seamasters and I have been looking at models from the 60's. I have been doing a bit of research on the various models and looking at what's available on watch shop sites and eBay. I understand the calibre 565 are highly rated. There are a couple of nice examples I've seen on a watch site but look a bit too perfect (and about £800) which is over my budget for a first watch.

I have also seen some manual 600's - would this be a good first vintage Omega model to start with?

Many thanks

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 7, 2015

A look at the f.s. section here is well worth your time, at least one 600 at the moment and there may be more.

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 7, 2015

You were smart to pick up on watches that look too perfect, they have usually been touched up and are frequently no longer original in collector terms. EBay is great, but only if you know what you are doing, and it can punish those who lack knowledge.
    Feel free to post links to eBay sales that look interesting to you and the good people here will offer their opinions as to whether it would be a wise purchase or not. Though it is preferred if you can do some of your own research and put forward your own comments or criticisms rather than let others do all of the work for you.
    And the watches for sale are in some ways vetted for you, they are usually from collectors who are shuffling their pieces (makes it easier to buy more) and questions would be raised if a seller offered something inauthentic or inaccurately described.
    Enjoy the search

X351 likes this.
  4. X351 Dec 7, 2015

Thanks for the advice - I always like to do a bit of background reading/research on purchases I'm not familiar with. Although I would like to buy him a watch in good condition I would prefer to get an example that has been well looked after with a little honest wear rather than one that has been completely refurbished to be 'as good as new'

The 600 in the F.S. Section does look interesting as well

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 7, 2015

You're welcome to post photos and or links for watches you may be considering to be evaluated here.