Forums Latest Members

New member looking at seamaster chronometer: pre moon?

1. Rhinoww Feb 9, 2016

I have been lurking for a few months and have really been impressed with the knowledge, willingness to help and frankly the civility of this forum.

I already have a few vintage watches including my Father's Day/date constellation he bought new in the late 60's which I wear periodically and keep tuned and oiled as well as a new to me Speedmaster automatic chronometer which my wife recently got for me (wife and watch are keepers)

Gratuitous shot of my new to me Speedy image.jpeg

I have found this watch but can't see it live before it gets sold. A few questions: is this a pre moon watch version, I have a very well trusted watch maker nearby - assuming it is a 321 movement, what is a reasonable range of value for this watch? Beyond a cleaning and gaskets is the start stop fix a big issue?

Thanks in advance image.png image.png image.png image.png

image.png
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. Rhinoww Feb 9, 2016

I would add that this watch looks well worn. I am not a collector but someone who likes to wear my watches. I'm more concerned that the prior harder wear may be a sign of significant future repair costs.

3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 9, 2016

I think you are confusing Speedmaster and Seamaster when you ask about 'pre-moon'. The term 'pre-moon' is not normally used in reference to Seamasters.

4. Rhinoww Feb 9, 2016

Ok. Thanks. From a collector's/value perspective though is this a worthy candidate and if so at what price range recognizing that there will be maintenance and repairs ?

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 9, 2016

Others who are much more knowledgeable will chime in. I'm sure a common issue will be lack of photos of the movement and the inside of the caseback. And some will feel the engraving knocks a bit off the value. The case looks nice enough though, with the exception of the scratches from when someone removed the caseback in the past.

6. mozambique Feb 9, 2016

It does look a bit tired. These do come up quite frequently on ebay. In my mind they are great, and currently under appreciated. Do a serach for completed ebay listings to get a better idea of prices. I check these from time to time on ebay and some of the asks are way above market value. I would think you wouldn't have to pay more than ~$US3k for one of these in pretty nice condition, but if anyone else has a better handle on current prices, please chime in.

7. Rhinoww Feb 9, 2016

FWIW, the Seamaster sold for $1,300, which was above what a gamble at finding a 321 movement in need of some repair and possibly in disrepair was worth to me. Not sure if I made the right decision other than $1,300 remains a decent amount of cash and sufficient to buy another Omega in pretty decent condition without so many risks.
    I remain curious though if folks think that this was a good deal for the buyer, and if so why. My less tension seeing if he made the right call than if I did with that money in play

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 9, 2016

Would never buy anything like that without a movement shot.

Be like buying a car and not looking at the motor.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2016

In particular when there is what appears to be a rust stain on the dial emanating from the hour recorder hole...this can indicate significant water intrusion at some point. Hopefully the movement is not full of rust...

OSP and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. ConElPueblo Feb 10, 2016

My first thought also. I was wondering if the missing pusher cap would mean that dirt/moisture would get in the case easier, or has it no impact?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2016

I can't say for sure on this specific pusher, but for example on most Speedmasters, the construction of the pusher requires the cap to be in place have water resistance. It's the post or tube in the cap that the screw goes into (that you can see in those photos) that mates with the O-ring in the tube that is mounted in the case, and forms the seal.

Etp095, OSP and ConElPueblo like this.