Forums Latest Members

New member, Longines 1943 Waterproof tank carre

1. dodo44 Apr 7, 2016

Hello,
    I am a new member here (actually, I have been a member for a while but this is my first post). I mostly collect modern and vintage Longines and have a sweet spot for pre-Moon speedmasters and tool watches in general. Given that Omega Forum is one of the most knowledgeable forum when it comes to vintage Longines, I have decided to post a question here.

I have recently acquired a Longines Waterproof tank wristwatch that was sold in 1943 to the retailer Cuervo Y Sobrinos (Cuba). I sent a message to the heritage department of Longines. As usual, they were extremely helpful and confirmed that (1) the watch was waterproof (their registry says "etanche"), (2) it is equipped with a caliber 23M, and (3) it was sold to Cuervo Y Sobrinos. It is a distant cousin of the Omega marine tank and the JLC Reverso.

I have seen similar watches from Longines but they are rectangular, not square (page 56 of the book by Goldberger). They also seem to use a slightly different closure system. Has anyone ever seen a similar watch and if yes, do you have any piece of information as to what parts are missing?

I love this style of watches. This is the 1940s version of a tool watch. Any info would be appreciated.

If you do not have any info, feel free to post pictures of other waterproof tanks.
    Nick

Edited Nov 16, 2016
    0uss, Vitezi, Syrte and 6 others like this.
  2. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 7, 2016

Hi
    Very cool....... Love it.
    Bet case is similar to a marine standard with little tab that click over the back of the watch... To hold it tight . Like the early aqua sport tissot . I will see if I can find photos.

Bill

3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Apr 7, 2016

Hello Nick,

Firstly, great watch!

I have seen a few Longines with the same case style as yours but I have not been able to find images so far. Rectangular waterproof Longines of this era seem to be more prevalent (at least on the web) however I believe that the principle is identical. If this is the case, then four pieces are missing from your watch.

The first two pieces are the curved metallic bars that are pressed between the lugs. Each end fits into the grooves on the inside of the lugs. These bars are not meant to be totally rigid as they will be slightly compressed. The second two pieces are the folded metallic clamps that latch onto the protruding ends of the caseback and the curved bars.

Here are some images for reference.
    2.JPG 1.JPG
    4.JPG
    http://www.watchnet.co.jp/p-eyes/products/detail.php?product_id=3690

Edited Mar 16, 2017
    ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. dodo44 Apr 7, 2016

Thanks a lot DirtyDozen12 and Bill. This is the info that I was looking for. There are two notches in the lugs where the wire would be positioned; that makes perfect sense. As you mention, all the cases that I have seen were rectangular.

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  5. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! May 5, 2016

@dodo44

Well Nick, I think that you may have been correct with your initial assertion that the square model does not employ an identical closure system. I cannot confirm that this example is fully intact but everything seems to fit into place quite nicely. This might simplify your task slightly.

Longines Square Waterproof.JPG 1212.JPG

6. dodo44 May 5, 2016

Thanks DirtyDozen12.

Edited Nov 16, 2016
  7. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! May 5, 2016

Though the second digit of the case number was undoubtedly a 7, I could not make out the first digit and simply assumed that it was not a 4. Time for me to hit the sack. Good luck!