Forums Latest Members

New member, how can I ensure a watch is authentic?

1. Djorgy20 Apr 26, 2021

After seeing so many first time buyers posting where to buy (aka where to get the cheapest deal) I’m going to try a little different type of question. I am new to luxury watches. Familiar with them, but new to wanting to start acquiring. The brands I would like to start with are omega and breitling before taking on more expensive names. Likely start with a speedy racing or moon watch. So my question is this, what is the beat way to assure the piece Im buying, likely over the Internet like on here, is authentic? I’d like to find one that comes with the original boxes and paper work. Thanks!

2. s2000_driver Apr 27, 2021

This is something you will read often - Buy the seller. There are folks who are considered trusted sellers. Look in the 'For Sale' section here as well as Rolex forums. Browse the who is who section. There's plenty of feedback. Do not post "want to buy" listings unless you are prepared to deal with all sorts of characters. Watch out for emails with misspelled addresses like 'vv' in place of a 'w'.

It is always best to start off with factory boutiques or authorized dealers in your area and build some rapport. May help with getting your hands on hard to find models. That said, there are always times when you can save some money purchasing privately. Be patient. And if something is listed at lower than market prices, stay away!

Welcome to the forums and good luck!!!

Djorgy20 likes this.
  3. abgul Apr 27, 2021

As above always buy the seller. Go with more reputable names until you are comfortable. More reputable dealers will have quality watches and ensure they are to keep their good name. That isn't to say you can't find good watches from other sellers. Just more hit and miss.

Djorgy20 likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 27, 2021

I edited the title to make it more expressive for people to see and understand it, try not to just write one word titles if you can mate but welcome to OF.

Djorgy20 and Shabbaz like this.
  5. Mac-427 Apr 30, 2021

The surest way to guarantee authenticity is to purchase from an authorized dealer. I purchased my BNIB Seamaster 300M from Jared's and paid full price. That meant I didn't have to worry about getting a counterfeit watch or something used with scratches or other issues. The store did throw in a beautiful pair or earrings for my wife, and I got to enjoy a really nice experience without haggling. As a plus, there really is nothing like the first look at that beautiful box the watch comes in.

Seamaster.jpg

Edited May 1, 2021