Forums Latest Members

New Member (from Western MA), with a query about watchmakers in Boston/Southern NE

1. Do The Evolution Sep 18, 2017

Hello Everybody,

Thanks for such a great forum! I've been reading through OF posts, since registering a few months ago; and I'd like to say a proper 'Hello', while asking for general advice on finding a watchmaker near Boston, who is experienced with 60's era Constellations.

I'm a research biologist (endangered insects & biodiversity) who's recently transcended graduate-student & postdoc poverty through my first major grant. From this, I'd love to wear a vintage constellation for office/dress. This'll be my first mechanical watch. And while I don't think I'll become a collector (it always starts innocently...), I do want to work with a watchmaker for their purchase advice, and subsequent long-term service - before I buy anything.

So, could you please connect me with a watchmaker I could visit in Massachusetts (perhaps Boston), or southern New England - who services vintage Omegas?

For a watch style, I'm delighted by the 1960’s era Constellations in the hidden crown, stainless case # 168.010, with pie-pan calendar dials in silver, or white.

So, if anyone has interest to sell one to a good home - I'd love to chat about that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers!

2. Vitezi Sep 18, 2017

Do The Evolution likes this.
  3. Do The Evolution Sep 19, 2017

Thanks for that fast reply, Vitezi! I didn't know about either organization, but I've searched through both to make a short-list of candidates.

4. Jking something intelligent and witty... Sep 19, 2017

Both @ahartfie and @Kreindog24 are in your area so they may have some go to watchmakers for you.

Do The Evolution, ahartfie and Jwit like this.
  5. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Sep 19, 2017

Welcome! I'm in Springfield and patronize Smith and Son on Sumner Avenue. Out your way, there's the European Watch Co. in Boston proper, I believe. There used to be an Omega boutique at the Natick Mall, but it closed.

6. Do The Evolution Sep 21, 2017

^Thanks, ahartfie! I'm in Amherst, so Springfield is close, and the European Watch Co. looks excellent, too. I'll be in touch with both shops to inquire about vintage Omega servicing.

I'm grateful for these suggestions - and any others - because after a bit of googling, I found it confusing to understand how several good-looking shops had severe (yet detailed) bimodal Yelp reviews. With the tongue-in cheek flavors of: A) "Going here for 20+ years; the only place in the world I trust my collection of [insert highest-end watches].", and B) "Rude service!!! Needed battery replaced. They bit my watch, spat it on the counter then denied everything. Cost me $200 and still not fixed!!!".

So - I appreciate advice from the Forum.

ahartfie, Jking and Jwit like this.
  7. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Sep 21, 2017

Paul Duggan is Boston is also pretty decent

8. Do The Evolution Sep 21, 2017

^ Very cool. Thanks, Dero13!