Forums Latest Members

New member & first-time owner in England

1. Wyatt66 Dec 23, 2017

Hello everyone

Just signed up, and just became an owner for the first time, courtesy of a rash ebay bid. I’ve attached some pictures.

I still know very little and don’t want to remove the case back myself, but for now, based on other images I’ve found and particularly the shape of the hands and the script typeface, I think I have a mid-to-late 1960’s Seamaster, in what appears (to my untrained eye) to be very good condition. The crown is signed, the raised seahorse adorns the caseback and the buckle shows the (alternative) MG markings described in omegastar’s buckle opus. I (think) I see the Omega logo on the crystal, but it’s really difficult to see, and my eyes aren’t what they were. There’s some lume damage on the minute hand, and some spots of lume on the underside of the crystal at 11 & 1. The second hand doesn’t stop when the crown is pulled out, but it’s keeping pretty good time - gained about 30 seconds in the 5 days since I got it. When I eventually get someone to open it, I’ll know more, and I’m expecting to find a 552 movement inside. One more thing, the seller said the strap is the original, but it’s not in great condition, but if it is original, I don’t want to damage it further, so I want to replace it - the only thing is, I can’t get leverage to remove the pins, as they don’t have the collar on the ends to push them back and out (if you know what I mean) and I’m terrified of scratching the lugs - is that common on watches of this vintage?

Overall I’m really pleased with the watch (my first vintage too), but I’ll learn more about it when I have it serviced, and hopefully l won’t find out anything to change my mind.

I look forward to getting involved and learn more about these wonderful watches.

0CF2E705-C3DF-4D78-9646-D5D90D6E2172.jpeg 7FDC9491-DEB5-4C29-BB59-2B7A39076006.jpeg CB6BDA6A-7044-4DFA-AD39-5261B45C0B8B.jpeg D201FD47-0222-4BC5-9E66-96A2DE5167B7.jpeg
  2. Noddyman Dec 24, 2017

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first purchase.
    Depending on how much you paid I would say you have done exceptionally well for your first purchase.
    The watch is in lovely condition and is all original even down to the strap and buckle.
    Changing straps can be quite daunting but you soon get the hang of it with a little practice. Buy yourself a spring bar tool off EBay, there are loads available and very cheap. Lots of videos on YouTube, practice on an old watch first.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 24, 2017

Welcome aboard.

Buy a springbar tool or just order some straps ( most places throw a springbar tool in if you spend a bit )

4. ChrisN Dec 24, 2017

Looks very nice and I'd expect a 552 as well so it won't stop when you pull the crown out as these calibres don't hack. Sounds like you bought the watch without seeing the movement which I wouldn't usually do but as the dial is very nice, you'd hope it would be in good condition.

If you have non flanged spring bars, then you will struggle to get them out as they are best when the lug has holes so you can press the pin. Put some masking tape on the lugs to protect them if you try again. If you're unlucky, they'll need to be cut off but your watchmaker can do that without damaging your case.

Get it to your watchmaker and he can see if the movement needs a service and get the serial and case number.

Where in UK are you? There's a few of us in here and I'm in Somerset but, we're spread about from Scotland to the south coast.

Oh, and welcome!

Cheers, Chris

5. GordonL Dec 24, 2017

Welcome and lovely watch!

If you are anything like me you'll find yourself being sucked in to this game and it will not be your last purchase....but it's (usually!) a very satisfying way to spend your money

Larry S likes this.
  6. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 24, 2017

And beyond.:thumbsup:

7. Wyatt66 Dec 24, 2017

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I’m in rural Cambridgeshire,about 75 miles fom the Smoke.

I found the ebay listing 30 minutes from the end, but before I found this forum. I must say, if I’d done it the other way round, I probably wouldn’t have bid. I’ve read some scary things on OF, and without the expert eye of many members here, I’m not certain I’d be able to identify a ‘good’ fake or redial. In the end I paid more than I first hoped but less than my max bid, so I’m happy. I don’t mind sharing what I paid if the protocol allows.

The seller’s late grandfather owned the watch, and it had been hardly used since he died 40+ years ago, and that gave me some confidence in the authenticity (but I didn’t learn this snippet of information until after the auction ended!). I didn’t get the chance to see the movement (the seller wouldn’t have been able to remove the back any more than could I) and I wouldn’t have known what I was looking for apart from signs of obvious damage or “fakeness”, but I have to say that a movement which can start up after 40 years in a drawer and keep time like it is, is truly impressive.

Thanks ChrisN for the comment about the non-hacking second hand on the 552 - in that case, how does one set the seconds? Do I simply let it stop, then reset the hours and minutes?

Thanks also for all the comments about the spring bars - I do have a tool, and have some experience changing straps on more modern watches, but I just can’t get the tool in between the end of the bar and the lug. The lugs aren’t drilled (the buckle is), so I guess I’ll leave that to the professionals.

I have been bitten by the bug, but I’m on a steep learning curve, and I’ll certainly take more care and do more research before my next one.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and advice!
    Wyatt

neilfrancis likes this.
  8. jaguar11 Dec 24, 2017

A big welcome and congratulations on your acquisition of a fine timepiece. Enjoy and wear in good health!!

9. ICONO Dec 24, 2017

Congratulations on a terrific first purchase !

The watch looks perfectly fine…No qualms

Welcome aboard to the Forum.......There is a also ‘Private Sales’ thread here……which is safe to trawl too

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 24, 2017

It’s a Christmas miracle!

New guy didn’t buy a POS!

Great pick up and welcome!

Wyatt66 likes this.
  11. Wyatt66 Dec 24, 2017

Luck more than skill this time. I don’t mind admitting it! Merry Christmas to all.

12. ChrisN Dec 24, 2017

It'll probably hack a little if it's on very low wind. Most of us don't bother setting the second hand. But if it's been rested for a day or so, the mainspring torque will be low so, by gently turning the hands backwards, it'll stop depending on how tight the cannon pinion is. Then move the hands forward when you've got the second hand right and it'll start again. Give it 20 winds and you're off.

@tyrantlizardrex has a monthly get together in London but a bit of a trek for you. I will get there one day but am newly back in UK so haven't been to one yet.

Enjoy your watch and Merry Christmas!

Cheers, Chris

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  13. Wyatt66 Dec 24, 2017

Thanks Chris, I’ll try that technique if the seconds variance irks me enough, which I am determined it won’t.
    I travel a lot but I’m in central London once, maybe twice, a month, and I try to choose the date to accommodate other events, so who knows. @tyrantlizardrex - would love to be on the list if that’s ok.

14. ClarendonVintage Dec 24, 2017

Hi from London!

Marvellous dial condition!

Wyatt66 likes this.
  15. tyrantlizardrex Dec 24, 2017

You’d be very welcome!

If you subscribe at time4Apint.com you’ll get notifications. :thumbsup:

Mr Gadget and neilfrancis like this.