Forums Latest Members
  1. Hammerhead Sep 30, 2020

Howdy, folks!

New member, first post. Thought I'd drop by to introduce myself and ask some questions as I'm about to become the owner of an SMP300 with the silver dial.

By way of a backgrounder, I'm a neophyte horologist. My fascination with watches began as a kid, but it wasn't until I was in my 30's when I decided to buy my first nice watch. I joined Timezone, started researching and began to understand the basics of terminology and finally became able to use words like 'ebauche' and 'escapement' in a sentence. Later, I enrolled their L1 and L2 watch repair class by Walt Odets.

Eventually after enough research to understand what I was buying, which is to say, what one should be looking for in a better timepiece, I settled on a Concord Impresario Chrono. Not for the reputation or horological history of the brand, mind you, but because I learned by then any watch with a Zenith ElP in it was knocking on the door of some serious territory.

Some years later, I fell on hard times and had to sell that watch, but I'm back in the saddle again and, with hindsight and experience, decided that a good diver as my daily was where I wanted to be. Low maintenance, no worries over swimming or showering, just a solid watch reflective of a sound horological tradition.

I had my eyes on the Ulysse Nardin Marine Manufacture with white dial and blue Arabic numerals, but the price was a bit steep and... well heck, that Seamaster is a serious lot of watch for the money. It's tough to beat at its price point, no doubt one of Omega's goals.

So, with the SMP inbound expected to arrive tomorrow, I figured it was time to say hello, and ask some questions.

First, I'm puzzled by the pricing of the Omega model line, because it doesn't exactly make sense to me. The SMP300 is the least expensive watch in the lineup (see below) with a price $500 less than the AT. However, the SMP seems more watch for the dollar than the AT with its ceramic dial and bezel, helium escape valve (for better or worse) and its depth rating.

$5200 Pro Diver - 300m 210.30.42.20.03.001
    $5700 Aqua Terra - 150m 220.10.41.21.03.002
    $6500 Planet Ocean - 600m 215.30.44.21.03.001

I can understand the PO being more expensive because of the need for a more robust case, but it just seems the pricing of the AT and SMP should be reversed and the AT be the least expensive of the three. Unless it's a matter of Omega trying to take direct aim at Rolex's market share, perhaps the benefits economies of scale in manufacturing due to demand for that particular model, or both.

On to other questions.

From a usage standpoint, I'm wondering how one can tell if the watch is properly wound (since there's no reserve complication), and how to avoid over-winding on a daily basis in use. IOW, what percent of wind would one arrive at by the end of the day in average daily use?

Are there any do's and don'ts for this watch, such as only changing the date at the bottom half of the dial?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance!

2. pdxleaf ... Sep 30, 2020

Welcome. Great introduction.

Word of advice. We try not to mention how inexpensive the SMP 300 is as we don't want Omega to catch on. Seriously though, it really is a lot of watch for the value. It's the bread and butter for the OB in my town according to them.

Curious, how did you choose between silver blue and black? Throw a dart or did you just know? I have been trying to decide for 6 months. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I cannot answer your important questions regarding use as I don't have one. But as you probably know or will shortly, this is a great community, both knowledgeable and enthusiastic to share with people who want to be involved. I am relatively new myself to the forum but feel very much welcomed. I trust you will too. I have never used the word ebauche in a sentence so you are two up on me with that and the SMP.

Pictures, pictures, pictures. Looking forward to seeing your new watch and hearing your impressions.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 30, 2020

Welcome!!!

post pictures of the new piece and any bets on how long until you purchase a speedy pro?

it’s only a matter of time now. :)

Larry S and DaveK like this.
  4. michael22 Sep 30, 2020

Isn't it automatic? Wearing it daily should be enough, no winding needed.
    Welcome to the forum.

5. Marsimaxam Oct 1, 2020

Awesome introduction. Of the three watches you listed, my favorite is the SMP 300... no complaining about pricing. The SMP is an
    automatic wind, but, if you don't wear for awhile, I recommend turning the crown about 40 times to get it going again. Can't overwind.

In regards to changing the date, my understanding is NEVER change the date when your watch's time is currently between 9pm and 3am. The gears that change the day are active between those times, on most watches. Changing the day manually during those times can chip a gear in your movement, causing permanent damage to date wheel... so I've been told.

Finally enjoy your watch, wear it, and don't worry about bumps and bruises... it happens. Your watch will gain character as you both age, and you will have a few stories and laughs. Here's too many more...

Larry S and WatchCor like this.
  6. repoman Oct 1, 2020

Welcome - completely agree with you the SMP Diver is a great daily, I wear the same watch pretty much everyday, and that's from a guy with a whole lot of Speedmasters in my watch box. You can't over wind the SMP, it has some kind of over wind clutch mechanism and will just click without putting any more tension on the main spring. The automatic movement keeps the main spring sufficiently wound for correct operation - I'm no watchmaker so that's the extent of my knowledge, others here (who are professional watch makers) may chime in with additional details. As for which one to choose, that's easy, the correct answer is the blue one :D

7. WatchCor Oct 1, 2020

Welcome and great introductory post. I echo the sentiment that post some pictures when you get the new piece and that as a daily wearer an automatic shouldn't need any winding. :thumbsup:

8. Hammerhead Oct 1, 2020

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks.

Heh. Yeah, I get it. Best kept secret, and all that. No worries, but still puzzled.

I liked how the gray dial made the watch look to be more seamless with the bracelet, and got the hands to really pop. I could go on a rant about how so many watch manufacturers don't spend much time at all to integrate the strap/bracelet to the case from a design standpoint. Far too many watches have lugs that look like a deer desparately clinging to a car roof after hunting season. And don't get me started on the utterly unimaginative style of having a straight strap/bracelet edge between the lugs leaving triangular holes on each side. Ugh. Take the Aquatimer or UN as an example of how to more gracefully integrate the design flow from round to more or less straight, and you'll know what I mean.

Getting back to the dial color, for me, it was the reason above, along with feeling the white was too stark, the black too common and the blue too flashy. What concerns me is that I'm now understanding the gray is a coating. If so, to my way of thinking that rather defeats the purpose of having a ceramic dial that isn't susceptible to the aging of coated dials like lacquer or enamel. Too late now, I suppose.

That's exactly why I ask. You're describing the danger zone as being in the Southern 'hemisphere'. However, my understanding was the inverse, that the date should not be changed when the hands are in the northern 'hemisphere' of the dial. I guess I'll have to hold off and RTFM to be sure.

Yes, the 'clicking' means that something in there has gone beyond it's stress limit and is sacrificing itself so that something more expensive isn't damaged. I was just looking for a clarification for what percentage the winding mechanism charges the barrels during average daily use. That would be helpful to know, if it's even something that can be known. There's got to be someone who has the answer because some engineer decided on a gear ratio, and whether the winding is unidirectional or bidirectional, and so on. Just curous.

And yes, the Speedy was on the list, but the Hesalite crystal held me back. Maybe someday, if I can resist the urge long enough. ;-)

9. gbesq Oct 1, 2020

Welcome to OF. I own a number of Omega models, both modern and vintage, but the SMPc is my daily wearer and one of my favorites. It’s a lot of watch for the money.
    331101D1-44AF-42A0-8C21-159A33EA636B.jpeg 60147FD7-B4F5-42BA-83AC-C16151093D2B.jpeg

StudebakerHawk likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 1, 2020

Welcome to the madness.

A dive watch is easy. Take it out of the box set the time and date and wear it.
    Repeat if you have more than one watch, but It sounds like your not going to take it off for a while.

Winding, unless your a sloth you probably won’t have to wind it as moving will do it for you. ( Never had a automatic watch die on my wrist from not being wound enough )

Date, just set the watch to 6 o’clock when you change the date then set the time after. I usually set it to a day before and let setting the time change the date so you know that it’s changing at midnight. ( don’t want to have to stay up late to check like one newbie did )

Wear it, no need to think about anything once it’s on. :thumbsup: