Forums Latest Members

New Member- currently without an Omega

1. tudor66 Jun 17, 2015

I just wanted to say hello, I am a new member here. I've owned a few speedmasters, but I am currently without an Omega watch.

Thanks

Al

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 17, 2015

Hello Al, and welcome!

We can certainly be of service in helping you solve this dilemma.
    Please choose a nice avatar and join in the madness.

JohnSteed and tpatta like this.
  3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 17, 2015

No'megas required :)

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 17, 2015

no omega...NO OMEGA!! sacrilege!

UncleBuck likes this.
  5. devnull Jun 17, 2015

As long as you spend enough hours of the day obsessing about omegas most will overlook the fact that you don't have one ;)

6. Fretworker Jun 17, 2015

Hi Al, welcome to the club, (I think Joe Walsh said that), what Omega do you aspire to?

7. alam Jun 17, 2015

where did your Speedies go? ::popcorn:: welcome to the watch madness club ::screwloose::

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 17, 2015

Where's the pics? I can't see any pics???!!

:eek:

Random pic to the rescue!

IMG_20150606_093206.jpg

JohnSteed likes this.
  9. tudor66 Jun 17, 2015

I have a watch flipping disease - In the past I would buy a watch, then convince myself that I needed to sell it to obtain another.

I've owned 145.022's from 1969 and 1971, then a few 1980's speedmasters; then a few 3510's, and of course a few really nice 35mm models- all of which should have stayed in the collection.

Being a skinny wrist dude I struggle with the thought that a 42mm watch might be just too big on my wrist-- while at the same time admiring the classic look and size. Here is a newer model Speedmaster I am considering. Does anyone else believe that I am destined for the smaller 38mm models...? image.jpg
    image.jpg

JohnSteed likes this.
  10. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 17, 2015

In my opinion, 42mm is A-OK for you, and that's after taking into account the fact that photos like this tend to make watches look unnaturally large.

11. tudor66 Jun 17, 2015

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    By comparison, here are two 38mm model I nearly purchased ..., and a 39mm chrono that I can't stop obsessing over...

12. tudor66 Jun 17, 2015

Hey thanks, here is one more... image.jpg more...

13. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Jun 17, 2015

In due time my friend, in due time...

14. tudor66 Jun 17, 2015

I think it's just a matter of getting used to a slightly larger watch. When I wear a 36mm watch it first looks and feels small, then later in the day it feels great and normal; the same goes for a 40mm submariner/Gmt, and at 41mm the speedmaster may be fine once I wear it a few days. The owner of the speedmaster in the pic might loan it to me for a few days- that will be the real test...

15. tudor66 Jun 18, 2015

Yes, I am really enjoying reading on this forum, and yes, the obsession has begun...

I am going to try and get away at lunch to see a few Omegas- time permitting...

16. JohnSteed Jun 18, 2015

Funny you should ask. Why, yes. But I've found 42 is just right for my smallish wrist, but let the discovery process begin. Welcome !!

17. tudor66 Jun 18, 2015

Thanks John, how about a picture of your speedmaster...

Perhaps I should call this thread- your 42mm Omega on smallish wrists only...

18. JohnSteed Jun 19, 2015

As a contrast see this...

image.jpg

Against this

image.jpg

image.jpg

Both sizes work great for me. Simply undo one button of my shirt cuff and the Speedy fits perfectly!

blubarb, tudor66 and Modest_Proposal like this.
  19. Dombo63 Jun 19, 2015

Hi all. This is a great and informative site.
    I am in a similar position, Omega-less:(. I have had an automatic Tag Heuer 2000 since 1993 which I have never taken off apart from when playing squash/tennis (I am a lefty and wear it on my left wrist). It has been scuba diving down to 160 feet, windsurfing, waterskiing, with resultant crashes at speed into water, and apart from gaining about a minute a month still works fine.
    I recently saw an article in the Financial Times (I am English and live in UK) about the upcoming Silver Snoopy Speedmaster and that sparked my interest in all things Speedy. I remember the Apollo 13 mission as a small child and thePlus reaching one of those age milestones when a new watch might be a nice idea.

However, very few of these limited edition watches seem to be coming to the UK and those that are have already been pre-ordered, paid for and with a waiting list, presumably to allow for cancellations or failures to complete the deals in September.

To my uncritical and inexpert eye the classic Speedmaster is arguably the best looking watch I have ever seen. Working in finance I see a lot of Rolexes - a Swiss colleague even collects them, buying the special editions whenever they are launched - but they do nothing for me. Plus, like the OP I have smallish wrists so while the Tag is perfectly proportioned the larger models look a bit chunky on me.
    I am therefore torn between the Reduced and the Moonwatch, while at the same time appreciating the waterproofness of the Seamaster range but less enamoured of its looks, so quite a dilemma. I doubt the "Buy both" solution would have a positive domestic outcome!

As for cost I am probably veering towards the pre-owned market, which I know is probably a minefield so would welcome any pointers on here as to where, who, how. I have heard of and looked at Chrono24 but any views on that site would be appreciated.

20. tudor66 Jun 19, 2015

That's some really nice Patina on your Speedmaster...! The watch looks great on you.