Forums Latest Members

New member considering my second Omega and it looks suspect.

1. FXRocket Jan 18, 2018

Hello, thanks for having me!

I currently have one Omega, a nice survivor Seamaster automatic from 67 that has family history and rarely gets worn. It was a gift to my father in law when he left for Nam, a gift from his dad, so it tends to stay indoors.
    I typically just wear a basic Tissot manual (1965) or my daily SKX009 (but I am repairing a nifty 1972 Seiko 6139 blue dial Chrono)...anyway I am considering another Omega and found what seems to be a mid-late 60's Constellation and wanted the groups opinion on it.
    I have read through the stickys and also the thread about spotting a fake that I should NEVER ask questions in and have concerns.

The watch I am considering has a 751 with the day & date, I understand this is not as popular as the date only models.
    I think the hands may be wrong, they have lume, but the dial does not, but the dial does have a "T". And I cant tell if the back is correct for this era (no bricks). Also, the movement looks like it has some issue with the weight, like a tar substance? Is the movement correct otherwise? The seller states it was serviced 6 months ago but it looks kinda dirty to me? I am thinking the crown should have the logo, if I interview it I would like to know if it should be signed. It's offered at under $400 and I am tempted, but I thought I would get a few votes from this knowledge trust.

Thanks folks.

00l0l_jkKbFRIfD9m_1200x900.jpg 00O0O_h2Ztw99tVCL_1200x900.jpg 00O0O_ddMvAM8pAf7_1200x900.jpg 00H0H_5QSlQqNRua3_1200x900.jpg 01111_64Hqr7kSIL6_1200x900.jpg 01717_4a4kId5afOV_1200x900.jpg

Edited Jan 18, 2018
    mikechi22 likes this.
  2. isaacg Jan 18, 2018

I am a newbie so you'll want to wait for the experts, but, to my untrained eyes, the dial does appear to have lume at at least some of the hour markers. The hands and dial look correct to me, and the case looks pretty sharp. The crown does appear to be a replacement. Again, I'm a newbie so I'm sure people with more expertise will be able to tell you more about it and the value.

ConElPueblo and Peemacgee like this.
  3. 77deluxe Jan 18, 2018

Looks decent to me. Replacement crown, but case and dial look ok. Better pics would help.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 18, 2018

I see no issues save the crown.

Needs a service and check the movement vs the caseback to be sure.

5. doog Jan 19, 2018

Other than needing a bit of TLC, looks like a decent buy for under $400 to me. Two concerns though. How much of the black gloop (probably the old case back seal) has crept into the movement, and is that a crack on the left hand arm of the rotor, or just more gloop? Not keen on the cyclops on the crystal, but that can always be changed. Factor in $400 for a service and a decent new strap and it still looks an attractive deal.

Peemacgee likes this.
  6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 19, 2018

Nice Connie.
    +1 for all of the above.
    Rotor rubbing on movt so needs a service. Get a new crown at the same time.
    Day not in English if that’s ok with you.
    Bit of a steal for under $400

FXRocket and ConElPueblo like this.
  7. albertob Jan 19, 2018

Seems ok

8. Caliber561 Jan 19, 2018

Seems like a good deal if you can get it under 400. Like others have said, it really just needs a new crown and a service/clean up.

9. FXRocket Jan 19, 2018

Thanks you all for the rapid response. I am trying to find out f that is a crack in the balance, I anticipated a scratch but not a crack...but when you think about it a scratch right there would not do any good to that pivot either.

I gotta say I have already learned a LOT on this forum in a very short time, awesome place for sure!

I will update if I get it.

10. FXRocket Jan 19, 2018

Well, the local CL listing turned out to be a guy from McCloud California. My first thought was spam, but he gave me his home address without an offer to ship it, he did not know it was on the Indy CL. So, if you live out that way and can do a face to face buy, keep an eye on your local CL for a nice Constellation.

Thanks again folks. I am going to stick around here for a while, my eye tends to draw towards vintage Omegas and if I get another curious looker I will inquire.

dan7800 likes this.