Forums Latest Members
  1. Actsulb Oct 15, 2011

I am a new member and I am planning to buy my first Omega watch, I have long been an admirer of Omega watches and need some advice. I went to my local AD (Omega boutique in Costa Mesa, California). After looking around a bit, I was struck by the elegance of the Speedmaster Pro (38705031) with the black leather strap. The AD refused to provide any type of discount even a nominal one to cover the sales tax.

Since I am not familiar with Omega, I wanted to ask if any members have recommendations on other ADs that I should visit in the Southern California area that are more helpful and warrant my business? Also, if there is anything I should be aware of when buying my first Omega. I would like to avoid rookie mistakes!

Thank you,
    Ali

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 15, 2011

On the speedmaster pro, you may want to consider a used model, as they do tend to hold up well, and there is a large number of them available. The price point for used is around the 2,000-2,500 mark typically.

I would very strongly recommend reconsidering the choice of strap, the price difference between the strap and the steel bracelet is very negligible, and if you buy the steel bracelet you can then buy a strap and an Omega deployant clasp later for less. If you ever go to sell it, not having the bracelet hurts resale quite a lot.

The Speedmaster pro is an excellent watch, so you definitely won't be disappointed.

3. Actsulb Oct 17, 2011

Thank you for the input. The reason I am thinking of the black strap is because I am buying it for keeps and I don't resell my watches. I appreciate the long term view though.

Other thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2011

Other thoughts: you can buy a genuine Omega Speedmaster displayback and fit it after the fact, they look rather interesting.

Also buy a tube of polywatch, it'll help keep the plastic crystal in top condition.

5. Actsulb Oct 17, 2011

Terrific, thank you. That's great to know.

6. Joergen Oct 6, 2018

7. Supah Oct 7, 2018

Isn’t that a bit low? 2500-3000 for a box and paper set is what I’m seeing

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 7, 2018

Check the date of my post ;)