Forums Latest Members
  1. andyd30 Jan 25, 2017

Hi, short time lurker, now new member, because I have just become a vintage Omega owner!

My new to me 131.5016 with a 601 movement arrived today. It is supposed to be from 1969, but based on the movement serial number (3044xxxx) suspect it may be a year later. When I am feeling brave I will have a look at removing the back to get some photos of the movement. I am going to get a black strap and maybe a gold plate buckle as I have not warmed to the dark brown Hirsch that it came with.

This is my second Omega (my 1st was a 2254.50 seamaster received last year). Please be gentle as whilst it looked good to me, from reading previous posts, I suspect I have a lot to learn :) - comments (good or bad) appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Llewis123, Giff2577, GregH and 7 others like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 25, 2017

Welcome!
    Neat vertical brushing on the dial, not a linen dial though.

3. slique12 Jan 25, 2017

Welcome, and that looks like a neat little Geneve. Enjoy in good health:)

4. andyd30 Jan 26, 2017

Thanks for the replies and welcome.

From the comments, it would appear I have not bought a pup, which is good news, but comments good or bad (I am looking to learn) would still appreciated

5. Omega1 Jan 26, 2017

Nice watch welcome to the mad house.....

6. andyd30 Jan 26, 2017

Thanks. Question on case back removal, is removing the back as simple as pulling the crown and inserting my case back removal tool into the obvious lip on the 6th picture and gently pushing until the two halves separate? And pushing back together is just that (will I need a crystal press to apply enough pressure to clip the two halves together again)?

Thanks again!

7. Ravineman Jan 27, 2017

nice watch and the band suits the watch perfectly. Great condition vintage and elegant.

Do yourself a favor a big favor and don't open it yourself. What are you going to do once it's opened anyway ?
    Rather, next time you decide to get it serviced, have a trusted watchmaker open it and look at it there.

Enjoy the watch !

8. andyd30 Jan 28, 2017

Thanks, having researched some more it looks like the crystal & bezel are removed leaving the face and movement still inside the case and some kind of split crown stem arrangement needs removing to allow the face and movement to be removed from the case. Time to find a watchmaker indeed!

9. dlim4evah Jan 28, 2017

Hi Andyd, nice piece you got there. I have a guy that's certified and has worked a ton on vintage Omegas. Check him out at http://www.genevawatchrepair.com

10. andyd30 Jan 31, 2017

I decided to take a slightly closer look at the case and worked out that once the crystal and bezel were removed, the movement and dial sit in a ring that lifts out from the case back, so not a split stem after all.

With hallmarked case and movement number now confirmed, I can relax and enjoy wearing the watch. Incidentally it is keeping great time for a ~47 year old watch, pretty much spot on as long as I wind it every morning. A few pics for those that are interested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Giff2577 and GregH like this.
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 31, 2017

Nice Shackman case :thumbsup:

12. andyd30 Jan 31, 2017

Thanks. You can identify that because of the case leopard hallmark or the S?

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 31, 2017

Leopard for London
    S for Shackman

14. andyd30 Feb 2, 2017

A question, if I may. As there is no omega symbol engraved in the centre, I presume I have an aftermarket crystal. Is there any benefit to replacing this with a genuine Omega article or is the difference too small to call?
    Also, if replacing, is the gold (is it a tension?) ring re-used or does the new Omega crystal come with a new gold ring?

Thanks