Forums Latest Members

New member, and hopeful collector looking for advice

1. Mako Oct 19, 2013

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and am interested in collecting Omega watches, vintage ones particularly. I currently own a Seamaster Aqua Terra that I bought new some years ago, and absolutely love this watch, and the Omega brand. So much so that I started perusing ads on Ebay and am considering buying a watch or two that I've seen that I like.

I know this has prolly been asked a million times, but can someone point me to any threads, or give me information on how to tell a legitimate Omega from a fake. A lot of the watches on Ebay that are of interest to me are located in either Eastern Europe, or Asia, so I'm reluctant to bid on any of those because many look too good to be true. Any books or threads on the subject?

Also, I'm interested in replacing the bracelet on my Omega with a leather strap. Any recommendation on tools and where I should buy them?

Thanks.

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 19, 2013

Welcome to the forum.

You are welcome to post direct links to any watches you may have questions about.

3. Mako Oct 19, 2013

Thank you so much. There are 3 I'm particularly interested in .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121192077437Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161127897474?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271300282282Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Any advice would be much appreciated. At this point I'm looking at the sellers ratings and how positive their feedback is to help me decide the "odds" that I would be receiving a legit item.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 19, 2013

The first two would be a big NO, they are horrible abominations with absolutely no collector value.

They are made up watches NOT really Omegas at all, converted pocket watches.

The third on has a refinished dial and should be avoided.

This watch is trying to emulate the dial on this one. Notice the difference between the OMEGA AUTOMATIC and the S in Seamaster which is from an earlier style Seamaster.

http://omegaforums.net/threads/1965...l-black-military-dial-reference-165-002.8051/

IMG_4251.JPG

5. Mako Oct 19, 2013

Wow. I've got a lot to learn. I cam across another, not exactly vintage but looks pretty clean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181239738151?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Are there any books on the subject that you could recommend, or threads here on the site? I've got to a lot to learn apparently before I start my adventures as a collector.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 19, 2013

Another watch with a refinished dial, one of this vintage (1950s) should have the long "coat-hanger" S in Seamaster.

Look through the posts in the Vintage Omega section here as well as the For Sale section and the WRUW Today?

You've come to a really good place to learn about Omega watches, be patient.

7. Mako Oct 19, 2013

Thank you. Up until now I've been a firearms collector. I'm by no means an expert, but It took some time for me to be able to spot reworks or fakes. Looks like I'll be starting the process again here, but I'm really looking forward to it, and looking forward to seeing more of the beautiful pieces you all have here.

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 19, 2013

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Oct 19, 2013

Welcome Mako,

Most topics covered here at some point, cars, pets & dancing squirrels to name but a few.

10. Hijak Oct 19, 2013

You will be glad you stumbled upon this forum. I have been amazed at the watches I've seen here...both rarity and quality...and many times both in the same watch!

11. MyVintageOmega Oct 19, 2013

:thumbsup: Welcome aboard......

12. cristos71 Oct 19, 2013

Welcome to the forum.

My watch buying/collecting budget when I first developed an interest in vintage watches was very small, so the first mistakes I made were also relatively small and I see them as the price of an education. It takes a lot of looking and a lot of time to develop an eye for some of the dodgy things that redialers and franken builders do, and even longer to be able to see if a movement has problems just from a small picture in an online auction.

My advice is to take your time and if you see it as the beginning of a new hobby then the best place to start is at the bottom with cheap but original watches, this will help limit your exposure to financial losses through any bad buys you may make, all the research will help with the learning curve and as your knowledge grows so too will the collectors desire for ever more difficult to find, rare and expensive pieces to "complete" your collection.

The best book by far is Omega A Journey Through Time, it is like an encyclopaedia and has a huge amount of seldom seen pictures and information.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2013

Start your reading here, the gospel according to Desmond:

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com.au/

This website has a pile of .pdf essays down the right hand side, read through them and absorb everything you can, Desmond's writing involves a lot of pictures and diagrams which makes it easy to digest