Forums Latest Members

New member - advice required please - vintage Omega Geneve

1. alvinleeryan Dec 22, 2015

Hey everyone,

First of all, thanks for letting me join the forum. It's a really valuable resource, especially for newcomers such as myself that know nothing about vintage watches, or modern watches for that matter!

So I'm looking to buy a vintage Omega Geneve as to wear daily - I spotted the one pictured below, which I love. I'm a big fan of the shape. However, I was kindly advised against purchasing this particular watch by some of your experienced members - its a suspected "franken". I am still tempted as it is quite cheap - but I am ignoring my impulsive nature.

Can anyone tell me what year/model this case and dial are from? The reference 166.099 the seller supplied is incorrect This is the style that I want!

[​IMG]

Many thanks

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 22, 2015

Have you googled Omega Geneve to see if you can find a similar style?

3. lillatroll Dec 22, 2015

What about the Geneve megaquartz? It is a great watch and you can pick them up for next to nothing. Many will deride the fact that they are quartz but they are top quality quartz. If you want an automatic then what about a dynamic, they can be had reasonably cheap but are cool watches if you want a bit of a 70s look

4. alvinleeryan Dec 22, 2015

hey @efauser,

Yes I googled it, but can find nothing with the same shaped case.

Thanks @lillatroll, I will check those out!

5. alvinleeryan Dec 22, 2015

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 22, 2015

7. alvinleeryan Dec 22, 2015

8. Sherbie Dec 22, 2015

There are loads of watches with that cushion shape case - it was really popular in the early 70s

Why not look around and get something else

Here is my memomatic, and a couple of stellar examples from Dogen's amazing collection

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Be patient is the best advice - dont get me wrong, we all make mistakes, especially when starting out, but you have the chance to buy something decent as a first watch

Just hang around here and ask lots of questions

Best of luck, paul

efauser and alvinleeryan like this.
  9. alvinleeryan Dec 22, 2015

Ooooooh! Those memomatics are lovely ::love::::love::::love::. I've never even heard of em! Thanks

10. alvinleeryan Dec 23, 2015

11. Sherbie Dec 23, 2015

I suffer from BPS ( short for black pillow syndrome)

If i see any watch that has been photographed on a black pillow, especially from Thailand, i run a mile

Not sure where you are based, but for your first watch, i would strongly recommend buying from a trusted forum member, or a bricks and mortar store. I know you will pay more, esp from the B&M store, but you will have peace of mind, and you can always return it if issues arise

As I mentioned previously, be patient!

The sales forum here is a good place to start browsing

Cheers, paul

efauser likes this.