Forums Latest Members

New LE Bond Seamaster for this year?

1. omegaemu Jan 16, 2017

I have been informed by a Omega store today, that a LE Bond seamaster will be due out later in the year. As no Bond film is due out this year do you think this will happen?

:unsure:

2. Superdoc Jan 16, 2017

There was some chatter about trying to do a Bond watch every year... I know that the Producers of the Bond film blocked the idea of a watch in 2105 that would have commemorated 20 yrs of Bond+Omega something that would have had more of a reason to exist.

As with most things, the success of previous efforts will determine the future path. Spectre LE was very successful, but the AT bond , although beautiful, has been gathering dust in Boutiques, and is on the grey market at huge discounts because of the obscenely high number for a limited edition. (15,007!).

Obviously Omega would like to continue to remind the world of the Bond connection when all but the die hard Bond fans forget about Bond for 3 yrs in between movies... It will be interesting to see if they are able to do it... but I think it would cheapen the relationship with Bond, and I would see diminishing returns...

I think it was a bigger thrill to see the actual production watch (be it Rolex subariner/Omega SMP/Aqua Terra/ or planet Ocean) on the character's wrist.

time will tell... I know Omega Wants it.. and much has changed since 2015 when Barbara Broccoli shot down the idea of a Bond watch in a non-movie year... so anything is possible.

the_general likes this.
  3. OhMegaMan Jan 16, 2017

Is this Barbara Broccoli a real person or character in movie? Sounds edible.

4. Riviera Paradise Jan 16, 2017

She might be a distant relative of Honor Blackman.;):D

Actually she has worked as a producer for the James Bond films.

I seriously hope they don't do an annual James Bond LE without a specific film reference. I agree that it would cheapen the Bond-Omega relationship.

Togri v. 2.0 and watchme like this.
  5. M'Bob Jan 16, 2017

Not to take anything away from Babs, if if you saw her, you wouldn't think so.

blufinz52 likes this.
  6. gr8sw Jan 16, 2017

her father was Albert 'Cubby' Broccoli, producer of the original Bond films, and supposedly his uncle introduced broccoli to America in the late 1800's... eat that! lol

jv91 and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Rhone1 Jan 16, 2017

I have the Bond AT (blue with yellow highlights) and although it doesn't seem to be a hot seller it sure is beautiful. I like the Bond movies but bought the watch because of how it looks, not because it is Bond related.

I think the Bond/Omega connection is pretty unique though and would never mind if they made another LE at some point.

8. cvrle1 Jan 16, 2017

Question is, when are we going to see Rolex LE Bond watch...

In terms of Bond watches, I hope they dont come out with 1 new every year. I also cant see Broccoli and Wilson giving green light to that. They are super, ultra anal about their child, and have full control over everything Bond related. There are many stories of them shutting down products and not giving their blessing to make Bond related products. Even thought I am massive Bind fan I was never interested in their LEs. I would rather have actual watch model that was in the movie, than some LE that you lose money on as soon as you buy it.

Riviera Paradise and Superdoc like this.
  9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 16, 2017

Probably never.... they dont need to.

10. cvrle1 Jan 16, 2017

i know, that was my attempt at subtle humor. Guess it didnt work out quite as intended haha

Riviera Paradise and Nobel Prize like this.
  11. Omeg@007 BLACK & ORANGE rule!!! Jan 24, 2017

Which model they will mKe the 007? Hope they do it for PO

12. Perseus Jan 25, 2017

I'd love to see a PO with the waffle dial from the Quantum of Solace edition, but please, please do not etch the movie name into the crystal again.

[​IMG]

Jwit likes this.
  13. mr_yossarian Jan 25, 2017

Love the dial. If I'd own it, first thing would be to let Omega replace the crystal with a clean one and keep the etched glass in the box :)

Jhh834, nurseford25 and Jwit like this.
  14. jaguar11 Jan 25, 2017

Nice looking dial but the etching on the crystal imho is on the naff side. Each to their own though!

15. Superdoc Jan 25, 2017

The original concept of that watch was much different...

Charles Laevens designed this, and he's an amazing artist, and a fantastic guy... he spear-headed the 'Omega University' concept to train boutique employees to be as knowledgeable and as prepared to engage in 'watch talk' as the most ardent watch aficionado...

Anyway - back to this design... he was inspired by the walther PPK grip to make the dial... and he wanted to have a 'Bullet Proof' crystal as an added tribute - the practical result was a slightly thicker crystal... but the bigger concern was potential backlash and liability if anyone wanted to 'test the product' ...

the next idea was to have the 'quantum of solace' etched with an anti-fog material that would only show up if you breathed on it (like cleaning your glasses, before wiping the condensation) ...

time constraints/budget impaired the ultimate vision, and the 'etching as it is' was the product that was released...

also that watch was the first that would have had the spinning bullet case back.... but the feeling was that there was enough to this watch already, and that idea for the case back could be reserved for future watches... ( it was later used for the 50th anniversary SMP)

an example of the bean counters impairing artistic vision...

Something that the new regime has vowed to not let happen again...

"the Product is the Priority" is the current mantra at Omega... let's hope they make good on it!

16. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 26, 2017

Like they do it with nasa related stuff? ... :cautious:

17th anniversary of the Apollo 37 mission ...(which is also the 27th anniversary of the last man to look at Mars)

::stirthepot::

Cheapen you say?