Forums Latest Members

"New" items on a 60's Seamaster Model Ck 166.024 563 Movement, Ok?

1. AZOmega Jan 8, 2020

I am looking to buy a watch from a fellow and I am trying to figure out if "replaced" items and or "new parts" are ok. This fellow is asking $2,000 for this Seamaster. The model number is 166.024 and per OmegaSeamaster300 this appears to be correct. The seller who has the watch informed me of the place it was serviced. I called the shop and the owner was not all that helpful. I am just a bit leery of spending that kind of money on a watch or if I should be spooked by "new items" to an old watch. I wish I had more photos but this is what I could eek out of the seller and or some service paperwork.

Per the seller:

Housing and bezel 166.024 (original).

The movement is a 563 quickset with date (original).

The dial non-original "new" part

The band is "new" as well.

20191128_095248.jpg 20191223_093207.jpg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 8, 2020

Run away, that's fake bezel, a bad one too.

Did you actually look at the section on bezels from the site you posted?

Archer likes this.
  3. obstando Jan 8, 2020

So you thoroughly read the website link you found? Have you seen any other images (i.e. the casebook and actual movement) or do you believe it when someone tells you a part is original? Did you find this particular bezel on the web link you posted? I doubt it as it was not produced by Omega. If you are considering spending that much on a vintage watch I would highly recommend more research. If you search google you will find some excellent resources that will help you but I would suggest you walk away from this watch

4. AZOmega Jan 8, 2020

I read the whole page and looked at the photos the watch face is clearly fake but the bezel looked okay. I did not think that the whole watch could be fake. I wish I had more photos the seller says it was his fathers watch. I have tried to get more photos, granted there are other red flags too. I think the housing looks too smooth and the bezel looks to be in too good of shape for $2,000.00. I am not going to become an expert by my limited exposure to the site I listed and of course not seeing the watch in person. Thank you both for your comments I almost did not even make a post. From the welcome start here black dials if looking too new could be a problem. I will have to go back and re-look at the link and see if I can find more nuances and see what I am missing. I may just focus on the for sale section of this site and local jeweler shops.

5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 8, 2020

Forget that watch. Calibre 563 ? It is likely, that somebody dressed up a Vietnam fake SM 300 ( value around $450 with some omega mvmt . , Which is the only Omega part in it...) with a Nos dial to make it look better. Pics. From mvmt with the mvmt number, case back inside and out, side profile both sides needed . Otherwise better give the money to charity. Kind regards. Achim

6. AZOmega Jan 10, 2020

Thank you all for your help I would rather feel kinda dumb and ask than be a victim. All your input has been greatly appreciated.