Forums Latest Members

New introduction to forums..

1. imexian Nov 23, 2014

Hello,

My name is Ian Margetts, i live with my wife and family near Loughborough, UK.

We both run a small transport company that we own.

Ive been a motorcycle trials rider for to many years but got injured at a trial about a month ago so gives me more time to check out this forum..LOL

I'm not a watch connoisseur just a normal guy who enjoys the "niceness" ? of wearing a classic timepiece.

Getting back to how i've got onto this forum, it all started probably about when my wife and i were first going out, 1995 ish, we both weren't well off, and i'd always been banging on about a TAG watch, how much i fancied one etc etc.

Then she appeared with one, i was taken aback and thought great, at last a TAG, wore it few months then went swimming in it, you can guess the rest!! (FAKE FAKE)

Still not realising why!! as i always bought her very expensive jewelery, i called the “to be” Mrs to winge about the dodgy seal on watch and how she will need to take it back to AD. There was a silence, then she said she would...

Anyway to cut a long story, she went window shopping to buy one quick, but traumatised when looking at cost in window.

So she had to fess, up and i never let her forget it always banging on about the TAG watch, slightly tongue in cheek, but you know what i mean...

Anyway fast forward to 2011 she purchased a TAG Heuer F1, as we are slightly better off!! great, at last a proper watch, i wore this everyday not thinking about any other type of watch.

Well maybe a different type of TAG, but then one evening I was just mooching about on my laptop on various website, Youtube was one and saw a watch repairer called Mark Lovett, his channel was “Watch Repair Channel” dont know if you have looked at it?

After watching all his vids I saw that there is a life other than great but soulless

battery watches.

I looked at the fantastic timepieces he was working on, and that was it, i needed one.

Started my search, not sure what I wanted, but knew it has to be mechanical, didnt take me long to search out a watch I really liked, it was a Oris TT1 circa 2003, with display back. Purchased from a nice Scottish chap who had a soft spot for the Oris brand.

This watch was a brilliant piece, looked great, like it would stop a bullet and was everything I thought a watch should be. Chrongraph functions were on it as well, I still always seem to want this in a watch, not that I use the ability to do this very often, LOL.

If you are on this forum, I would guess you are probably the male variation, and you know we are always looking for something better, different, newer, older etc etc..

Well I tripped over a Ebay seller who was wanting to sell an 1985 Omega Speedmaster Sapphire crystal sandwich gold gilt 861 movement watch with full box, instructions and the rest, the seller was another normal guy, and the reason to sell was that his Mrs was having a baby, he was a bit overwhelmed by the prospect of this impending change in lifestyle, and decided to sell some items, (Mini Cooper) as well!!

I looked into the history of this iconic watch and knew immediately I wanted this watch!!

Not cheap, but I knew this was the one!! bit like when you go out with the right bird....

I wore this like I owned the world, well I still do wear it, but now I wear a Speedmaster mark 2 as well, circa 1972, fully serviced, with 2 year Omega warrenty. Its a brilliant looking watch, i'm not sure if I prefer it to my display back speedy.

I need a 321 calibre moonwatch now, I guess this is how most dudes started...

prob is the other half demands I sell some of my twinshock trials bikes before I buy anymore watches.....

Watch (pun) this space!!

Regards,

Ian

2. cristos71 Nov 23, 2014

Welcome to the forum and a nice introduction :)

Love to see some pictures of your collection, especially the MKII.

3. CdnWatchDoc Nov 23, 2014

Welcome Ian. There are a few of us who wear a vintage Mk II. Mine says hello!
    [​IMG]

4. imexian Nov 23, 2014

AArrGGG thats what i need.. thats a japanese dial ?
    I will post some pics when i find my dig camera, orrible brats have borrowed it..
    glad you like my intro!! LOL
    ian

5. Crossfire Nov 23, 2014

Welcome Imexian :)
    CdnWatchDoc, Where are so many snow? :D

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 23, 2014

Welcome

This started me on a slippery slop
    28598-c6abd512c9044fec327f638d35f4a782.jpg

7. imexian Nov 23, 2014

We have no snow in uk at mo... LOL

8. imexian Nov 23, 2014